Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Brining

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM
  • 18 Replies
Has anyone ever brined beef for a pot roast? I brine turkey and pork but have never brined beef. when i make a roast i season the outside but it never seems flavorful enough. I am wondering if brining would help.
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I've never done it ....my beef roast usually go in the crock pot with just salt, pepper and onion

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM

The last roast I made was dry and stringy. I browned the beef and put in the crock pot with a few cups of liquid and cooked on low for 6 hours adding the veggie in the last 2 hours. it was awful except the gravy saved it.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

I've never done it ....my beef roast usually go in the crock pot with just salt, pepper and onion

batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I have not. I have only done chicken and turkey
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I have not...the meat we get has plenty of flavor and the spices/herbs I use add enough for us.

Corned beef is brined/pickled, so that would be similar.

This is a very good rub for a beef roast:  http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-roast-seasoning-130385

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Thanks!! It definitely could be the cut of meat i get... usually what ever is on sale.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have not...the meat we get has plenty of flavor and the spices/herbs I use add enough for us.

This is a very good rub for a beef roast:  http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-roast-seasoning-130385

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Our beef is bought on the hoof and processed by a local butcher.  The roasts come labeled as "rump roast" or "chuck roast".  There's nothing fancy like "English cut roast" or whatever.  So, I have no idea about what cut of meat I'm actually using. I never cook it lean, though....there's always plenty of fat to keep it moist.  Maybe if the meat is lean, you could try laying bacon over top?  My grandma always did that with lean roasts.

The rub I linked to is very good.

Quoting MaineMammax2:

Thanks!! It definitely could be the cut of meat i get... usually what ever is on sale.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Mine never came out like that...I brown it, then scape the pan with a about a cup of 2 of water, take the pan drippings add it to the crockpot with onion salt/pepper....never really have a problem unless the roast is partially frozen

Quoting MaineMammax2:

The last roast I made was dry and stringy. I browned the beef and put in the crock pot with a few cups of liquid and cooked on low for 6 hours adding the veggie in the last 2 hours. it was awful except the gravy saved it.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I made the rub  from the link and the house smells SOOOO just from that! I hope it comes out tasting as good as it smells yummy!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Our beef is bought on the hoof and processed by a local butcher.  The roasts come labeled as "rump roast" or "chuck roast".  There's nothing fancy like "English cut roast" or whatever.  So, I have no idea about what cut of meat I'm actually using. I never cook it lean, though....there's always plenty of fat to keep it moist.  Maybe if the meat is lean, you could try laying bacon over top?  My grandma always did that with lean roasts.

The rub I linked to is very good.

Quoting MaineMammax2:

Quoting michiganmom116:

kaybear123
by Kayla on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM
No i never have
megandwade
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Our favorite is 3 envelope roast.. after having it, I will never make a roast any other way!

1 envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope dry brown gravy mix
1 beef roast
1 cup water

Place roast in bottom of crock pot.
Sprinkle dry mixes over roast.
Pour water into bottom of crock pot.
Cover; cook on low for 7 hours. Thicken juices as needed for gravy.

(I use a bottle of Italian dressing instead of the Italian mix packet and cup of water. It makes the gravy turn out nice and thick!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement