Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Butternut Squash Chili - For Those Cold Days!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

So meat is really expensive. 

You know what's not expensive?

Squash! 

The farmers market in my city (one of them rather) sells spaghetti, butternut, and acorn squashes for $1 each! So of course I stocked up. I also bought a blue hubbard for $3!! Ta da! Who needs meat?

....well, we do, but that's just not in the budget right now or anywhere in the near future actually. *sigh*

So I've had to get SUPER creative with squash. The blue hubbard I've set aside for when we seriously have no food because it's giant, it's plentiful, and it'll sit for a good 8 months. 

This morning I brought out my trusty slow cooker to prepare a butternut squash chili. I love chili because you can basically throw your favorite ingredients into your crockpot and let it go to town because the longer chili cooks the better the flavor! 

So here's my version.

1 butternut squash, roasted and cut into small chunks (I like to cut my butternut squash into about four or five big chunks, roast it for about an hour or so (we're at a high altitude in CO) and the skins practically fall off, then I dice into small chunks)

1 diced green chili

1 diced yellow onion

1 can of corn (or frozen if you will or fresh!)

1 can if diced green chili's

1 clove of minced garlic

2 tsp cumin

2 Tbl chili seasoning 

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 1/2 cups water

I saute'd the green peppers, onions, and garlic in a wee bit of olive oil til they were niiiice and translucent. Then I mixed everything in my slow cooker and turned it on low for about 8 hours. 

Again, the great thing about chili is you can do whatever you want with it so if you don't have those exact cans of beans, use other beans! I just happened to have those in the pantry.

Also, don't like green chili's? Omit!

LOVE green chili's? Add two cans! Ta da!

Wanna use an acorn squash? Why not?

Try adding lentils! 

See? Chili is freaking magic. 

Also, is this not a beautiful edible palette of color? 

Martha Stewart, eat your heart out ;-)

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I will have to pass but TFS
crysiann
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
That looks de lish!!! I am going to try it, thanks.
flowerfunleah
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! It was delicious! We didnt even miss the meat!

I topped with a nice dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese. For a side I made savory cornbread.

Quoting crysiann:

That looks de lish!!! I am going to try it, thanks.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

That sounds and looks great! Thanks for sharing!

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I meant to get a butternut squash at the 99 Cents Only store today, but I completely forgot. I've only cooked with it once, though I've eaten it many times. I made butternut squash ravioli from scratch last year. Anyway, this definitely sounds like something we'd enjoy, though I'd replace the kidney beans with another can of pintos. We all hate kidney beans. Also, it definitely sounds like it would go well with acorn squash, as well as kabocha squash.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN