Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Frozen vs. Fresh For Easy Weeknight Dinners

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 34 Replies

I used to think that the only way to enjoy vegetables was straight from the produce aisle and that things had to be fresh, crisp and in season in order to enjoy. Well, now that I'm a busy mom, this is isn't always the easiest to do. As you know, fresh vegetables go bad pretty quickly, especially when nightly dinner menus change or you get too busy to spend hours cooking in the kitchen. In fact, I had a bunch of kale that I planned to use this week, only to discover that it was starting to turn right on the very night I intended to use it.

While I still use fresh veggies, I now use a fair share of frozen vegetables as well. The taste is still the same, because they are usually frozen at the peak of freshness. Here are a few easy ways to use frozen veggies in a pinch.

Use in soups and stews for a vitamin packed meal

Use frozen spinanch in a green power smoothie

Heat and mix into curly pasta or brown rice for an amped up side dish

Serve on its own with butter, salt and pepper

Mix into meatloaf

Moms, do you like using fresh or frozen veggies and why?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Knowing that it's usually days from harvest to my refrigerator when using fresh, and knowing that some vitamins start breaking down immediately following harvest....I'll use fresh for salads or fresh eating and frozen for most other things.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I try to use frozen over canned

Marisol1106
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I use both but frozen more. I like how easy it is to take out and steam the portion I want for my kids. It lasts a long time In the freezer so that's another bonus. I also love having it ready to go to throw Into soups, stews, chilis, you name it.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I use both.  We have more fresh veggies during the summer months.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I prefer fresh, but that is not always possible. I do not care for froen green beans, but everything else is great!

jen113000
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I use both. I like the frozen for soup and stuff like that.
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We use a lot of frozen veggies, especially in the winter (in the summer, we grow some of our own!) :)

We shop 30 miles away usually, b/c our small town grocery store doesn't have the best selection. The produce there is particularly grim, so when I have to shopt there, I mostly buy frozen.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I use fresh when I can. If not, I use frozen. I do not use canned.
strictmomhere
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
We use frozen cant afford fresh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I use frozen often. 
They are inexpensive, and often taste better than canned. I am in an area where fresh produce goes through the roof in winter months.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement