Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christopher Kimball/America’s Test Kitchen-Love/Hate

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have had a serious dysfunctional LOVE/HATE relationship with this jerk, Christopher Kimball, for years. His marketing racket is awful; his stupid intro to his magazine, now about 20 years old, is bizarre. You might be able to write an article six times a year for 20 years about Alaska, Texas, California or almost any midsized state and never cover the same topic, but NOT Vermont. My mother was from New Hampshire, I don't hate New England. Some of his recipes are totally ridiculous; being from TX and OK, I'll never forget his chili recipe.

On PBS' America's Test Kitchen Kimball says all the recipes are free on CooksCountryTV.com...but no they're not. You have to do a FOURTEEN day free trial with a credit card and then you have to pay for the website. There is no other way to get into the "FREE" site.

I actually ordered a 2 year subscription to the magazine, what a rip-off. I read it religiously and FINALLY decided to make ONE recipe from his magazine that was supposed to be this French apple cake with a creamy bottom and a crispy top. You had to slice the apples in super-thin slices, 1/8th inch. That was SO time-consuming. I'm a very accomplished cook and I rarely screw up any recipe, plus I have created many of my own recipes for which people clamor. It was AWFUL; the worst cake I've ever made and I followed the directions to the proverbial "T."

I then threw all of my 2 year's worth of magazines in the trash. I received and still receive threatening advertising letters informing me that I had received my LAST copy ever. Just out of curiosity, I called to see if they would give me another year at the price offered in the advertising. NO!

I would read the quintessential articles about Vermont in every magazine just to laugh at Kimball's non-talent with the written word. I almost edited a few of them and then wanted to send the corrected articles to Kimball. I received a "FREE" issue and laughed at Kimball's Vermont article and hungrily read the rest of the magazine. I love reading the magazine.

I wake up every Saturday morning whether I want to or not to watch America's Test Kitchen. I have this stupid urge to laugh at Kimball's idiotic yellow bow tie right below his dumb-looking froggy face. I like everybody else on the show. I have no idea how his employees can put up with his arrogant personality.

Some of his recreations of recipes, which you don't see on the show, but are in the magazine, are ludicrous. Supposedly, his recreations are supposed to make hard and time-consuming recipes easier for the home cook. They usually require more work.

I wish I could break my addiction to watching the show. I still require rehab because I really need to read the magazine and think about it all the time. I set my alarm for 10:30 am on Saturday mornings after I went to sleep about 4 am. I usually sleep until noon every day.

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM

i've never seen it, and now have no desire to.  lol

Honeygator
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

LOL!!! I'd hate for my worst enemy to begin a relationship with C. Kimball, only to wind up addicted to his BS products.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I love watching ATK/Cook's Country, but I definitely do not like him.  He is seriously annoying, and the ridiculous costumes he sometimes wears make him seem like some sort of man-child.  Everyone else on the shows is great, and I love the taste testing and equipment info, but I will never watch specifically for him.  I've never been on the site, nor have I gotten into any of his magazines or other items for sale, but it's nice to know I'm right to stay away.

Honeygator
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm glad you stayed away too! I would never buy any products he offers either. I would post this post on their Facebook site (if they have one), but it would be deleted immediately.

I love the product reviews and the taste tests on the show too. I love it when he fails the taste tests. He's SO patronizing...he's a real jerk. He did that today, he picked the worst grits.

I really like all of the people on his show. They have good personalities, they're warm and likeable.

It would be great to see him go up against Gordon Ramsay or Jaques Pepin. That's one reality show I would watch. I can't stand Gordon Ramsay. I watched that show the first year and then Gordon screaming at everything made me run...But I'd love to see Ramsay yell at Kimball. I'd also love to see Pepin try to work with Kimball.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)