The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Super Simple Crock Pot Chili

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

I've been trying to make more crock pot meals lately, since I usually have more time to prep food in the morning than I do in the evening, what with the crazy toddler wrangling I have to do later in the day. Seriously, what is WITH the period between 5 and 7 pm? It's just nuts. Anyway, the other day I just had a can of kidney beans, some stew meat that needed to be cooked up, and 6 tomatoes. I was skeptical about using stew meat and fresh tomatoes, but they broke down beautifully. This was one of the best chilis I've ever made. Add other ingredients if you like (fresh garlic, onions, peppers, corn, whatever).

Ingredients:

1 lb stew beef

1 15 ounce can kidney beans

6 fresh large tomatoes

3 tsp of chili powder

Salt to taste

To prep the tomatoes, I cut them into quarters and gently massaged the seeds out, because I hate tomato seeds. Add the tomatoes, beef, beans and chili powder to the crock pot and cook over low for 8 hours. Taste before serving to determine if you'd like more chili powder or salt.

I served this in big bowls with cheddar grated on top, wedges of fresh avocado and a big spoonful of sour cream. Seriously yummy and easy.

Do you have any crock pot meals that you can share the recipe for?

(c)istockphoto.com/Floortje

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

This sounds great!!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Slow Cooker Cube Steaks with Gravy

1/3 cup all purpose flour

6 beef cube steaks (1 ½ lbs)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings

3 cups water, divided

1 envelope brown gravy mix

1 envelope mushroom gravy mix

1 envelope onion gravy mix

Hot mashed potatoes or cooked egg noodles

Place flour in large resealable bag.  Add steaks, a few at a time and shake until completely coated.  In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to slow cooker.  Add onion and 2 cups water.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.  In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining 1 cup of water.  Add to slow cooker, cook 30 minutes longer.  Serve over potatoes or noodles. 

6 servings

kaybear123
by Kayla on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Tfs
kaybear123
by Kayla on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I don't use the crockpot much
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I have far too many too count. This recipe sounds pretty good except I prefer hamburger in my chili.
timon95
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

tfs

timon95
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds good

Quoting TerriC:

Slow Cooker Cube Steaks with Gravy

1/3 cup all purpose flour

6 beef cube steaks (1 ½ lbs)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings

3 cups water, divided

1 envelope brown gravy mix

1 envelope mushroom gravy mix

1 envelope onion gravy mix

Hot mashed potatoes or cooked egg noodles

Place flour in large resealable bag.  Add steaks, a few at a time and shake until completely coated.  In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to slow cooker.  Add onion and 2 cups water.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.  In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining 1 cup of water.  Add to slow cooker, cook 30 minutes longer.  Serve over potatoes or noodles. 

6 servings

family car

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM

tfs I am always looking for new crock pot recipes 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I love crockpot meals and this one sounds delish! I would share the successful recipes but I'm mobil so I'll be back

batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:08 AM
This sounds easy. My family loves chili
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)