Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

24 days of Christmas...COOKIES!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let's keep this post going with favorite recipes for Christmas cookies!

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1004533_FIGI4104_A_400.jpg

Christmas countdown banner

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Probably the most popular Christmas cookie, the decorated sugar cookie is an annual tradition in our home.  My kids have always loved to make, decorate, and eat these!  We prefer to frost them before adding colored sugar, sprinkles, or other decorations to them.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wGqV4pgUA7E/SzBo1si2f6I/AAAAAAAAAvE/-WixaaBGMY0/s400/P1010296.JPG

(not my photo, but you can see the variety)

Christmas Sugar Cookies

Ingredients

Frosting

Directions

In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with various shaped cookie cutters dipped in flour. Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Frosting:
Mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until desired degree of spreading consistency; add milk if you want thinner frosting. Add food coloring to obtain desired color. Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with sprinkles or any other desired decoration.
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
My kids love making sugar cookies every year too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Ohhhh I am gonna love this post!! I am looking for some great recipes for this year!!!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Chocolate Crinkles

This is one of my favorites!  Fairly easy to make, and they're so good!

http://www.onceuponachef.com/images/various/6a0115721bb963970b0133f41a36c0970b-pi.jpg

Here's a from-scratch recipe, courtesy of Betty Crocker (and the first recipe I ever used to make these):

Chocolate Crinkles

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour (do NOT use self-rising flour in this recipe)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

In large bowl, mix oil, chocolate, granulated sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray, or line with aluminum foil and grease the foil for easier cleanup.

Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into powdered sugar; roll around to coat and shape into balls. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. (I prefer to make the dough into balls first, then roll in powdered sugar.)

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly in center. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

Now, here's a super-easy recipe for the same cookie, with the same results!

Chocolate Crinkles

• 1 18 oz. box devil's food cake mix
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 2 eggs

Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Chill 1 hour. Roll into balls and then roll in powdered sugar. Bake 8 - 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

lunyuny
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Bump
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Yum!!
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Our favorites are chocolate chip, and peanut butter blossoms
megandwade
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Our favoirte are Sour Cream Sugar Cookies!
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg and sour cream. Then stir in the baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour until dough becomes too difficult to stir. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead in flour until dough is no longer sticky.
  3. Roll the dough out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on unprepared cookie sheets.
  4. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be lightly browned at the edges. Remove from the baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
megandwade
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

These where a tradition when I was growing up but I haven't made them in a long time! I may have to make them this year! We always filled them with icing rather than Jam.

Thumbprint Cookies

2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts of choice
1/3 cup jam (any flavor)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt. Gradually stir in flour. Form dough into 1-inch diameter balls. Dip in lightly beaten egg whites, then roll in nuts. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Press down center of each with thumb. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, fill centers of cookies with jam. Or, fill centers with 1/2 teaspoon of jam before baking.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Sugar cookies will be the only ones I make this year. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement