Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Guide to Leafy Greens

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

Greens are amazing nutritional powerhouses. There are not too many other foods that give you as much nutrition for so few calories. A lot of people shy away from them thinking they are tough, bitter or take too long to cook, but they are surprisingly delicious when cooked well and quicker preparations are often the best ones.

My favorite thing to do with kale, collards or spinach is a method I learned from Alton Brown on his show Good Eats: Smash a few cloves of garlic with the side of a knife and slice a few more very thin. Clean your greens, remove any tough ribs, and tear them into smallish pieces. Heat a good glug of olive oil in a pan and swirl the smashed garlic cloves around until they get brown. Fish them out of the oil and throw in the sliced garlic, along with a handful of greens. Toss them in the garlicky oil until they wilt down and repeat with the rest of your greens.  So good you'll want to eat all of them yourself, so good for you you actually could.

Because most greens have pretty strong flavors, they match well with things like garlic, parmesan cheese, lemon and even bacon, and you don't need a ton of those additions to boost the flavor. They're good in soups and stews as well....and there's a reason kale chips have become wildly popualr!

Epicurious has a good rundown of the different types of greens you might encounter as well as recipes to try. During the long winter when many fruits and vegetables are out of season, greens' versatility, flavor and nutritional punch can help you stay healthy and happy!

What's your favorite type of green to cook with, and how do you cook it?

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

spinach is my favorite, but I like kale, too.  never had collard greens, but I have had beet greens.

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

i love cooking with fresh spinach.  with pasta is so yummy.
and baby spinach is great for salads and sandwiches - as is baby arugula. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Spinach in pasta is yummy!
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Don't like spinach...

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I love sauteing spinach with a little olive oil and garlic.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Have you ever tried it on pizza? I like it with a traditional pizza sauce, cheese and sausage.

Quoting Peachy34500: Spinach in pasta is yummy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I love putting spinach in my green salad. I start my salad with spinach, remain lettuce, and iceberg lettuce.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i love cooking with fresh spinach.  with pasta is so yummy.
and baby spinach is great for salads and sandwiches - as is baby arugula. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I like spinach salad but not cooked spinach so much

Kale chips are good too
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I've never cooked greens.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I like to add spinach to pasta dishes or put some on my veggie pizza.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN