Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

i need ideas.

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 17 Replies
Ok I work 5 days in a row including christmas eve. Then off christmas. Then work another 4 days. What can I stock up on so we dont have to get takeout every night. I usually do crock pot but I'm looking for even easier. Very few fresh ingredients. But still at least low on dairy if not dairy free. I need to just stock my fridge before all the chaos starts. I'm thinking baby carrots and frozen brocolli since those keep well. Fruit cups. Cereal. And maybe some frozen skillet meals?
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

sweet potatoes....they're cheap this time of year, you can bake them in your crockpot (they only need 4 to 6 hours to bake, do you have a timer you can use for a delayed start?), and they are soooo versatile!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

do you have a day or two that you can prepare your own freezer meals?

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
No. I'm already scravling to be ready. That's my problem and only reason I've considered processed food just this once. I never work this much in a row.

Quoting michiganmom116:

do you have a day or two that you can prepare your own freezer meals?

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My family won't eat them :(
I dont have a timer but my dh will be home. Just dont want to rely on him too much because he gets stressed dealing with ethan and most likely his sisters will be over distracting him. Lol.

Quoting michiganmom116:

sweet potatoes....they're cheap this time of year, you can bake them in your crockpot (they only need 4 to 6 hours to bake, do you have a timer you can use for a delayed start?), and they are soooo versatile!

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Do have a Costco or Same Club card they have some really good freezer stuff.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

there are plenty of frozen items that can keep indefinitely and make up into quick meals:  chicken tenders/nuggets, breaded or battered fish fillets, bags of fries or onion rings, frozen veggies, frozen meatballs (make spaghetti), frozen waffles/pancakes (breakfast for dinner)

pick up several of the pasta and/or rice sides, the kinds that come in envelopes. 

Instant potatoes

PinkButterfly66
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Make a pot of chilli and have some hamburger and jarred spaghetti sauce on hand to make a quick pot of spaghetti.  That will take care of a couple of nights.  Get a bag of frozen italian meatballs, provolone cheese and sub rolls and you can make meatball sandwiches one night.  Get some tortilla chips, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese and you can make nachos one night with the left over chili.  

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Stouffer's dinner entres are very good.  Still pricey even though they are on sale right now BUT if you are a family of three or four, they might work into 2 meals. 

Pictsweet brand vegetables are probably the healthiest frozen product.  But I have some Birds Eye favorites too. 

When I'm super busy like you, I buy a variety of bakery breads to go with dinner and also use them for other meals as they don't keep very long. 

Fruit trays and veggie ones are on sale and fresher than usual.  I buy the cold cut trays for nibblers because they are better than things like Lunchables ... and we adults can nibble too.  I just buy club crackers or rounds.

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Yah I have Costco and I need to go anyway. Good idea. Thanks.

Quoting DACIA79: Do have a Costco or Same Club card they have some really good freezer stuff.
EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Great ideas! I think Kroger has some veggie trays on sale.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Stouffer's dinner entres are very good.  Still pricey even though they are on sale right now BUT if you are a family of three or four, they might work into 2 meals. 

Pictsweet brand vegetables are probably the healthiest frozen product.  But I have some Birds Eye favorites too. 

When I'm super busy like you, I buy a variety of bakery breads to go with dinner and also use them for other meals as they don't keep very long. 

Fruit trays and veggie ones are on sale and fresher than usual.  I buy the cold cut trays for nibblers because they are better than things like Lunchables ... and we adults can nibble too.  I just buy club crackers or rounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN