Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

How to Avoid the Worst Calorie Bomb of All

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

There are all kinds of calorie traps that await you during the holidays...office cookies, "quick bites" during a shopping run, and a huge amount of parties and special events. But there's one thing you might not even realize is contributing to your waistline expansion...and it's right there in your glass. That's right....those festive holiday cocktails can have distinctly un-festive consequences to your well-being.

The holidays are one time when even the most moderate drinker can be tempted to overindulge, or nondrinkers have their annual glass or two of wine. The problems is that many festive holiday drinks are loaded with sugar, fat and then the calories in the alcohol itself.

Your best bet to minimize the damage is a glass of sparkling wine. A flute of champagne is about 90 calories, feels oh-so-sophisticated and is nice to toast the holiday season..and is light enough in alcohol that it won't make you silly. Other good bets are lighter, more diluted cocktails, like those made with juice and sparkling water instead of sugary bottled mixers ... or even heavier indulgences like eggnog. Check out this list from Active.com of lower-calorie cocktails that go easy on the booze and sweets while still tasting delicious.

Of course, if you're pregnant, driving or just prefer not to drink, the pickings can be slim. But luckily there are options beyond sugary sodas, boring water or non-alcoholic fakes of the hard stuff. Holiday party-appropriate options abound that are interesting enough to even tempt the drinkers in your crew, like these from Bon Appetit. I mean, salted Meyer lemon and sage presse? And Martha Stewart has a great list of holiday-specific drinks that are special and sobriety-maintaining. Mulled cider anyone? Or a cranberry sparkler?

What's your favorite non-alcoholic holiday drink?

Image (c)iStockPhoto/evgenyB

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:49 AM
I stick with ice tea. That is my favorite and no added calories :)
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:15 AM

my choices are even more limited because I can't have sugary drinks.  I stick to water.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I can so relate to this. I just got off a week cruise and a lot of the drinks I had were made with sugary syrups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I like sunsets, it's half oj, half pineapple juice with a splash of cherry bar mix.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don't indulge in any holiday drinks, it's normally water to tea for me

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

water

elasmimi
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Plain old coke or Dr. pepper. We don't really drink alcohol.

RADmomma
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
We don't have any specific holiday drinks. Wine & beer are available but I don't drink either of those
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

We don't make any special holiday drinks.

sukainah
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Those are good ideas.  I don't drink alcohol, so I don't have to worry about that.  But I do like a little egg nog.  We don't have much though.  I like water best anyway. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement