Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Meatloaf & Mashed Taters Needed

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM
  • 26 Replies

I am cooking meatloaf and mashed taters for an emotionally down and out man who is a loose business associate. He's so down on himself that I had to tell him that "Friends don't let friends demean themselves. Get your ass over here for a good dinner, good wine and great conversation."  Then I asked him what he wanted to eat...because I'm a chef...I can cook anything but eel...he said meatloaf...

My favorite meatloaf is good ground chuck with bell peppers, onions, seasoning, bread of some kind, eggs, ketchup and a real thick ketchup frosting baked on top of the loaf.

I like stiff whipped mashed taters, skins included, with sour cream and cheese.

I told him that I'd run the meatloaf ingredients by him before he's coming to dinner this Monday because there are so many meatloaf variations. He said I couldn't make a meatloaf he wouldn't like. I bet I could if I chef it up and make it too fancy. THIS IS OKLAHOMA, men are simple here. Real simple. Feed them and they're pretty easy to get along with.

What are your favorite meatloaf & mashed tater recipes?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I hate meatloaf but we usually make it with ground beef, bread crumbs, one egg, ketchup, mustard, onions, cheese.
Honeygator
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Hi Kaybear, so you hate meatloaf, so who makes it and who eats it? ROFL!

Mustard is interesting, never thought about putting mustard in meatloaf. What kind of mustard?

batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM
I don't eat meatloaf however I will make it for my kids and husband. I usually try a new recipe when I made it.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I make a stuffed meatloaf that meets my dietary standards AND is very tasty.  My family raves over this!

Not Your Mama's Meatloaf - Low Carb & Beefed Up

By Ducky on August 02, 2005

Photo

Photo by GaylaJ

• timer
  • Prep Time: 30 mins
  • Total Time: 1 hrs 45 mins
  • Servings: 8

About This Recipe

"I saw this made on Foodtv. I'm not big on meatloaf but DH is so I thought I'd give it a try. It is quite tasty and DH really enjoyed it. I think this could be easily altered for different flavors or cuisines. It is supposed to be a healthier version of the one your mother made. I made this without the prosciutto."

Ingredients

Tomato Sauce Topping

• 1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    • 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    • 1/4 cup sugar substitute ( such as Splenda)
    • 2 teaspoons white vinegar or 2 teaspoons water

Meatloaf

• 2 lbs ground beef
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    • 1/4 cup diced onions
    • 1/4 cup red bell peppers, diced ( roasted or fresh)
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/4 lb prosciutto, thinly sliced (optional)
    • 1/2 lb provolone cheese, sliced

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In small bowl, combine tomato sauce topping ingredients and set aside.
  3. Add water to sauce to thin, as needed.
  4. In large bowl, combine beef, eggs, cheese, vegetables, herbs & seasonings.
  5. Place meat mixture on a wax paper-lined jellyroll pan or counter.

Directions

1. Form meat into a 10x8-inch flat rectangle.
  2. Place prosciutto slices on the meatloaf mixture.
  3. Place the provolone slices on top.
  4. Starting with the short side, roll the meatloaf up (may need to use the wax paper to help).
  5. Seal ends and place, seam side down, into a loaf pan.
  6. Spread tomato sauce topping on the meatloaf, completely covering the top.
  7. Bake for 75 minutes (1 hour 15 minutes).
  8. Drain fat and let rest 10 minutes before serving.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM

mashed potatoes:  Skins off (family preference, mashed not whipped, with sour cream or cream cheese, butter, and ranch dressing mix (homemade)

Honeygator
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM

That meatloaf sounds great mm! I love the tomato sauce topping recipe. You did give me another idea, since prociutto is so expensive. I saw a bacon weaved meatloaf not to long ago. I wonder how I could work bacon into a meatloaf as I am not going to the trouble or expense of a bacon weave and I love the tomato topping. I think I'll do some research...

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

oh....I never used the prosciutto, just the provolone.  Laying bacon strips over the top would work, I'd think, or dicing and cooking the bacon then adding it to the meat.

Quoting Honeygator:

That meatloaf sounds great mm! I love the tomato sauce topping recipe. You did give me another idea, since prociutto is so expensive. I saw a bacon weaved meatloaf not to long ago. I wonder how I could work bacon into a meatloaf as I am not going to the trouble or expense of a bacon weave and I love the tomato topping. I think I'll do some research...

megandwade
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We have meatloaf often... beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, Parmesan cheese, crushed saltine crackers, and a packet of onion soup mix served with mushroom gravey!

Honeygator
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yeah, meatloaf rules!!!

jobseeker
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:02 AM

We don't do mashed potatoes with meat loaf. We pair with mac and cheese.  

I have 2 boys. one would eat mac n cheese until he cows come home, but will only pick at meat loaf.  The other will eat meat loaf all day and night, but will only go for one servicne of mac n cheese.  

now that they are grown men, they will only do meat loaf with mac n cheese.  (home made of course)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement