The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Homemade Gifts Using Cookie Cutters - Part Two

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM
  • 29 Replies

Cookie cutters - most of us have more than a few. But how can we incorporate them into the holidays for more than baking?  You can use them to decorate your tree or you can bring these easy to make ornaments to your friends and family as a great tree-trimming gift.

Hang groups of metal ornaments on tree using colorful ribbon or twine. You can use a theme like animal, hearts, stars, or alphabet cookie cutters. Or you can go crazy and use your whole collection. I like to use green, red, and white yarn to hang them.

Use bright white lights to really make the naturally shiny metal ornaments gleam. Throw in a few candy canes and you have a really great display.

Not into hanging the ornaments? Use them to make simple salt dough ornaments and decorate with colored washes. Hang with twine.

Moms, what are your favorite ways to decorate your home during the holidays?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM
I'm pretty traditional with a lot of garland and red and green all over the house. My tree is decorated in purple and silver.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

cut out cinnamon ornaments with cookie cutters!  mmmm...the house smells so good!

I'm big on smells, lights, and glittery stuff for holiday decorating.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I love the cinnamon ornaments. 1 year Mike told Trey was done and cinnamon ornaments and we use cookie cutters to cut them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

cut out cinnamon ornaments with cookie cutters!  mmmm...the house smells so good!

I'm big on smells, lights, and glittery stuff for holiday decorating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Actually, my decorations are all Coca Cola.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM

We pretty much just stick to decorating our tree. We have several homemade ornaments but never tried salt dough.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM

cinnamon ornaments, decorated  oranges

elasmimi
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Years ago I did a small tree in my kitchen using cookie cutters for ornaments. I had a bigger kitchen then, lol.

RADmomma
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
We usually make salt dough ornaments!!
sukainah
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

That's a cute idea.  We like lights and a lot of gold decorations, stars hanging from the ceiling and the kids homemade decorations too.

matt_sara_mom
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I like to use dried beans in glass jars. Epsom salt and mini trees in Jars, wrapped empty boxes, candy canes again in jars. I like pretty, simple, and reusable 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)