Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What's the best way to make chicken stock?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

I want to make some chicken stock, for the first time, and put it in my freezer.  How do you make yours? Do you add any kind of vegetables?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I take a whole chicken, put it in my crockpot, and fill with water.  Then I add 1/2 tsp. each of thyme, onion powder, and salt.  add 1/4 tsp. black pepper.  Cover and cook on low for 24 to 36 hours, even up to 48 hours.  This helps to cook the minerals out of the bones so that the stock/broth is mineral-rich and nutritious.  I may add more salt to taste, but I usually leave that for when I use it to make soup.

Remove the chicken...it'll be fall-apart tender.  Be sure to strain the stock/broth.

I leave the fat with the stock; some people chill it and remove the layer of fat.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I always considered the chicken juices & seasonings to be chicken stock.  Some chefs consider that to be chicken juice and the additions of chopped onion, celery, carrot  OR chopped onion, celery, green pepper, garlic make it stock after cooking and pureeing all.  I'm sure it all depends on the recipe that you will be putting it in.

lulalacroix
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM
I roast my carcass with celery, carrots, and onions until veggies are nicely cooked. Roasting first gives a great depth of flavor.

Then I add all to stockpot and cook on a low simmer about 3 hours. Add additional water to pot as needed. I do not use seasonings or salt bc I add that when making the final dish.
jobseeker
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I am extremely frugal.  I only buy whle chickens and I ue kitchen shears to eparate the back from the meaty parts.  When I have 3 or 4,  I make my stock.

I cover the backs with water in a stock pot, add a clove or 2 of garlic and salt.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and add celery, and herbs.  Let simmer for a couple of hours.  

I usually take chicken out and debone it.  You would be surprised at the amount of meat that falls off the backs.  I use it in chicken tacos, or chicken salad, or chicken enchiladas.

You can also at this point make soup or dumplings.   

scapermom
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I too use the leftover carcass after I've made a roast chicken & eaten all the meat off it. Throw the bones in a stock pot with a cut up onion, 2-3 carrots and 2-3 celery ribs, season it with salt, pepper, thyme and garlic cloves or powder and throw about 3 quarts of water over the top. Bring to boil then lower to simmer semi cover the pot and cook for at least 2 hours. Let cool then strain. Now  you can make soup with it by adding carrots & vegetables of choice (I like to add a small can of tomato sauce or fresh tomatoes if I have them for color) and some noodles or pasta or you can portion it out & freeze the plain stock.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement