Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

garbanzo beans?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 15 Replies
So I got this huge, resteraunt size can if garbanzo beans ( chickpeas) from the food bank. Other than hummus, what are things I can make with them?
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
you can add it to pasta salad. or heat and serve with a little butter and pepper. you can puree. add onion and garlic and a dash of cayenne. shape into small patties deep fry them and serve with a yogurt sauce.
bxmom2580
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM
My neighbor is guyanese, and they make curry rice and chickpeas almost everyday
lulalacroix
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM
I would make a giant batch of veggie burgers and freeze. Veggie burgers are really easy to make and you can use ingredients you like. I like to make them with about 50% cooked bulgar wheat, but you could probably use brown rice.

Then sautee other ingredients such a garlic, onion, bell peppers. Use whatever you like, but make them flavorful. Be sure to smash beans. You can use eggs and flour as a binder. Just use enough flour until they hold together. You could bake in oven, but I like to cook on stove in a couple tsps olive oil until crispy on each side.

Sorry I don't have exact recipe, but thats not how I cook.
tecsabates
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
That sounds good. I don't often keep to exact recipes either. I like to experiment, and I like try new things.

Quoting lulalacroix: I would make a giant batch of veggie burgers and freeze. Veggie burgers are really easy to make and you can use ingredients you like. I like to make them with about 50% cooked bulgar wheat, but you could probably use brown rice.

Then sautee other ingredients such a garlic, onion, bell peppers. Use whatever you like, but make them flavorful. Be sure to smash beans. You can use eggs and flour as a binder. Just use enough flour until they hold together. You could bake in oven, but I like to cook on stove in a couple tsps olive oil until crispy on each side.

Sorry I don't have exact recipe, but thats not how I cook.
KarenandErnie
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Bake them with a little salt over low heat until crispy, they make an awesome crunchy snack.

m.garcia21
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Garbanzo salad with peas or kidney beans. My dh pefers kidney beans. 1/4 cup of olive oil.1 lemon. 1/4 cup of chopped onion. One tbsp of garlic.one tsp of oregano and a dash of paprika.
Lauren486
by Lauren on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Chickpeas go great in any curry.   I have also added them to chili.  

Lauren486
by Lauren on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yum!  What time and temperature for baking? 

Quoting KarenandErnie:

Bake them with a little salt over low heat until crispy, they make an awesome crunchy snack.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

This sounds good!

Quoting KarenandErnie:

rosemagic01
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon and bake them. Great little snack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement