Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy New Year's Resolutions

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Not to bring down the party spirit, but there are only four more days in this year. Four! That doesn't leave a lot of time to accomplish any of those healthy lifestyle resolutions you made at the beginning of the year and didn't get to. But it does leave you time to think about where you went wrong with last year's and how you can do better this year.

First of all, it's important to make your goals SMART: Specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely. For example, "I will eat better" is not specific; instead, "I will eat at least 60 grams of protein a day" or "I will have five servings of fruit and vegetables daily" are much more so. Those specific goals are also measurable; you're either meeting them, close to meeting them, or not even close.

"Achievable" means you have a true sense of where you are and how likely you are to make sweeping changes. "I'll run a marathon in March" isn't achievable if you only get off the couch to walk to the refrigerator now. However, running a 5K by March is probably doable. And just like "specific" and "measurable" are paired, so are "achievable" and "realistic." Again, "marathon by March" isn't realistic if you don't exercise now, but if you are consistently running 3 or 4 miles a day, then maybe it is and being ready for the fall marathon season absolutely is.

The final one, "timely" is really important as well, but less of an an issue with New Year's resolutions than other goals since they are time-limited by nature. However, since a year is a pretty long time, it can be helpful to set some checkpoints along the way to make sure you're on track.

What are your New Year's resolutions about healthy eating?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/bahrialtay

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Eat more balanced smaller meals

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I'm already a very healthy eater, so I have no resolutions about healthy eating.  My DH, however, has resolved to start eating like I do.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

To get back on my vegan band wagon.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I don't have any. About 4 years ago I did a lifestyle change. I started exercising daily and eating healthy. I only eat like s*** on the weekends and vacations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM
After I did my lifestyle change, it took my husband a better year to start eating like I do. Now he eatsis healthy as well.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm already a very healthy eater, so I have no resolutions about healthy eating.  My DH, however, has resolved to start eating like I do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I do not make resolutions, I try to make healthy changes all through the year.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I've been at this for 3 years.  He'll eat the meals I make, but he has no willpower when he's not home.  I've lost 30 pounds while he's gained 20 but I wasn't about to hold his hand...this had to be his decision.  Last week he told me he wanted to start doing what I was doing.

Quoting mrswillie: After I did my lifestyle change, it took my husband a better year to start eating like I do. Now he eatsis healthy as well.

Quoting michiganmom116:

elasmimi
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Just to do it! I have made the resolution to lose weight every year for 50 years. This year, I'm just going to eat healthy and exercise, and see what happens!

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

yes, I want to cut down my junk intake... although I never make resolutions.. they are jus asking to get broke.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I want to eat more whole grain stuff and cut out the white stuff. If it's not whole grain bread I'm not eating it. That means no more biscuits for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN