Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy New Year's Resolutions

Posted by   + Show Post

Not to bring down the party spirit, but there are only four more days in this year. Four! That doesn't leave a lot of time to accomplish any of those healthy lifestyle resolutions you made at the beginning of the year and didn't get to. But it does leave you time to think about where you went wrong with last year's and how you can do better this year.

First of all, it's important to make your goals SMART: Specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely. For example, "I will eat better" is not specific; instead, "I will eat at least 60 grams of protein a day" or "I will have five servings of fruit and vegetables daily" are much more so. Those specific goals are also measurable; you're either meeting them, close to meeting them, or not even close.

"Achievable" means you have a true sense of where you are and how likely you are to make sweeping changes. "I'll run a marathon in March" isn't achievable if you only get off the couch to walk to the refrigerator now. However, running a 5K by March is probably doable. And just like "specific" and "measurable" are paired, so are "achievable" and "realistic." Again, "marathon by March" isn't realistic if you don't exercise now, but if you are consistently running 3 or 4 miles a day, then maybe it is and being ready for the fall marathon season absolutely is.

The final one, "timely" is really important as well, but less of an an issue with New Year's resolutions than other goals since they are time-limited by nature. However, since a year is a pretty long time, it can be helpful to set some checkpoints along the way to make sure you're on track.

What are your New Year's resolutions about healthy eating?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/bahrialtay

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Be Healthier as a Family!

Kaci
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
That's fantastic! He sounds like my dh!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've been at this for 3 years.  He'll eat the meals I make, but he has no willpower when he's not home.  I've lost 30 pounds while he's gained 20 but I wasn't about to hold his hand...this had to be his decision.  Last week he told me he wanted to start doing what I was doing.

Quoting mrswillie: After I did my lifestyle change, it took my husband a better year to start eating like I do. Now he eatsis healthy as well.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm already a very healthy eater, so I have no resolutions about healthy eating.  My DH, however, has resolved to start eating like I do.

Kaci
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I am contacting my life coach the first week in January. We will go from there. I know it will be daily walks, start taking my vitamins every day, and no red meat.:)
megandwade
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this!

Quoting TerriC:

I do not make resolutions, I try to make healthy changes all through the year.

terri76
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Ha ha ha this is me exactly!!

Quoting mrswillie: I don't have any. About 4 years ago I did a lifestyle change. I started exercising daily and eating healthy. I only eat like s*** on the weekends and vacations.
terri76
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I do not usually make any resolutions!
batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too

Quoting TerriC:

I do not make resolutions, I try to make healthy changes all through the year.

EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I just became a bead body coach. I already eat very healthy but I need to gain some weight and get more toned. Especially if I ever want to get pregnant again. So more healthy fats is a big goal for me as well as total body fitness. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement