Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

EDIT: I AM TAKING NYE Appetizers & soap

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm going to a NYE party as the guest of a band. I want to take some apps for our table. There is a lot of equipment, I also want it to be a surprise and I don't want to add to the load. I can't carry them like I did for Christmas Day, which was in serving dishes wrapped with foil. I'd need to put them in a bag like the strudier reusuable grocery bags. It will be a cheese ball with crackers and mini meat pies. I can put every thing in a bag, but not in very large containers.

I haven't met these guys before but everyone in this business in my town knows on NYE I bring appetizers. I have a reputation to keep up! I think it would be a nice guesture for the the invite and the safe ride to and from the gig. I'll be drinking but there's designated driver of course. Maybe I shouldn't even do this. I can't take a nice bottle of wine because you can't take booze in or out of a night club...The club will already have party favours...I feel I need to do something special.

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Honeygator:

I can't take a nice bottle of wine because you can't take booze in or out of a night club...The club will already have party favours...I feel I need to do something special.

I doubt the club will allow food ... Why don't you just make everyone a New Year's Day gift box to stash for the trip home?

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
That's what I was thinking .. if the club serves food, I doubt they will allow any outside food

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Honeygator:

I can't take a nice bottle of wine because you can't take booze in or out of a night club...The club will already have party favours...I feel I need to do something special.

I doubt the club will allow food ... Why don't you just make everyone a New Year's Day gift box to stash for the trip home?

Honeygator
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

That's a great idea Dissie, but we don't know how many will be showing up until they all get there. It's as much a celebration for the muscians as it is for the club and its customers. Plus there are two bands. The club always allows food at the band table. In all my years of experience, I have never been refused while bringing food to the club or the venue. If the club serves food, they know the band ain't paying for nothing. They'd have to include it in the contract that the band would eat free. The band won't ask for that.

The laws don't let you bring alcohol and it would look like too much if I made indie gifts. It's tricky, I can't appear like I, well, like a groupie. The question is I don't know these guys, we know of each other by reputation and they invited me to tag along. It's business. I'm to meet their booking agent who is fairly new but doing pretty well for his clients.

I know the guy that invited me was hinting for some cookies. As I said, I have a rep to protect...LOL and I'm not bringing cookies on NYE. That guy knows I have cookies to deliver to another club owner the day of NYE, that's why he hinted for cookies.

I'm just trying to think of what things to put the things in. The meat pies aren't that delicate and they're finger food. The cheese ball needs a knife so that's simple. The crackers don't have to be opened till I get there. How do I hide a serving tray? How do I wrap the cheese ball? Then what do I put it in?

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Use ziplock bags, burp out air, place in tote and pack twisted pieces of newspaper around the food bags. Happy New Year!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I think your idea of a cheese ball with crackers and meat pies sounds perfect! Perhaps you could use disposable containers within plastic bags to better keep it. 

Honeygator
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I have a small bag and to hide a serving tray I think I'll just take 2 little disposable ones, one for the cheese ball and another for the crackers then I can add crackers as they disappear. And if I put newspapers on top of the bag's cpntents then no one can see in it. The cheese ball will fit in a quart baggie.  Those are GREAT ideas! Those are perfect ideas, because I can't even take a big bag. The table(s) will be crowded with ol ladies, girlfriends and their purses and bags.

Honeygator
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Dissie, guess what I've decided to do? I make soap every Christmas season. I have plenty. I'm going wrap up a bar of soap in a piece of tissue paper and tie with a simple ribbon to give to the ladies of the table. That's not too personal, not too showy. They will think, at first, that I'm just another bar slut the guy I'll be with picked up. (He's a player, I'm not) I've never met these people. It's also the perfect idea because I can fit 20 bars of wrapped soap in a very tiny bag.  AND since I know that there will be guest musicians sitting in and I can't possibly know the number of them that will be there, I don't have to exact the amounts of food. PLUS, it's not time consuming.

I'll take the guy I'm going with some finger foods for him to take home in a container. I'm still making the  cookies, cheese ball and meat pies again. I'll have people dropping in throughout the week.

Whether you know it or not, this is a big relief. Thank you!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Sounds like a good plan.  Glad you've made a decision that has brought relief :) 

Quoting Honeygator:

Dissie, guess what I've decided to do? I make soap every Christmas season. I have plenty. I'm going wrap up a bar of soap in a piece of tissue paper and tie with a simple ribbon to give to the ladies of the table. That's not too personal, not too showy. They will think, at first, that I'm just another bar slut the guy I'll be with picked up. (He's a player, I'm not) I've never met these people. It's also the perfect idea because I can fit 20 bars of wrapped soap in a very tiny bag.  AND since I know that there will be guest musicians sitting in and I can't possibly know the number of them that will be there, I don't have to exact the amounts of food. PLUS, it's not time consuming.

I'll take the guy I'm going with some finger foods for him to take home in a container. I'm still making the  cookies, cheese ball and meat pies again. I'll have people dropping in throughout the week.

Whether you know it or not, this is a big relief. Thank you!

Honeygator
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Thanks Lauren. I don't even know how anxious I am to go. Oh well, I said I would. It beats NYE at home alone. I'm usually a person who spends NYE with live music. When I was invited I just said, Oh thank you, I'd love to, without thinking it through. I may as well. I need the contacts, but I was just thinking at the time when I accepted that I have been wanting to hear that band for about 2 years. It would be funny if he backed out but I doubt it. LOL

And I know that with all of the big problems in the world today that this problem sounded trivial, it sounds trivial and selfish to me. I literally did not know what to do. I'm sure I was invited because I'm in the business and I don't get stupid even if I drink too much.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Have a great time anyhow!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement