The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

How often do you go grocery shopping....

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

and how much do you spend on avg. when you go?

I go once a week (Sundays) and I avg about $60ish a week (sometimes more sometimes less) and when I shop I buy food to make breakfast, lunch and dinner for me, DH, my 2 year old and my 10 month old for 7 days. 

I wish I could only go once a month or every 2 weeks but I have never been able to make it work for us.  My mom, she goes almost everynight and just gets what she is going to cook for the evening....I told her that there is no doubt she is paying way more in groceries then I am because she plans nothing out!  So what do yall do?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

If I go once a week, I spend anywhere from $45 to $150 depending on how well I've planned.

If I go once a month, (minor trips during the month for perishables) I spend $100 to $275, again depending on how well I've planned.

ETA: this is for 3 adults, 2 teen boys, and a teen girl.

terri76
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I go once a week. I spend between $60-$100 depending on if I plan a menu or just go on a buying spree lol
rebeccab1966
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I go at least a couple times a week.  I love to cook and always find recipes I want to try, and I also do alot of cooking for my Mom and my husband's Mom. 

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I go once every two weeks i spend $200 . I have four of us to feed my husband myself and two boys ages 17&13. 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I do one big trip a month and then I go as needed. I spend around $600 a month for us a family of 6. 

matheson7
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Once a week.
melaniecerise
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I go once every two weeks. I spend about $130 maybe $140. I make a meal plan for the two weeks and included is breakfasts, lunch, dinner and snacks. I have a 6 yr old, 7 yr old, dh and myself

KendallsMommee
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I do a big grocery run biweekly and spend about $250.

I also pick up bread, milk, etc. as needed.

There is just me Dh and DD.
Lauren486
by Lauren on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

$60 a week is impressive.  I spend double that for my family of 5, but my weekly grocery run also includes things like paper towels and laundry detergent, because I buy  it all at the commissary. 

I definitely notice I spend less when I meal plan. I just have to get in the habit of doing so! 

megandwade
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I go once a month and spend about 400$. That's way more than enough to feed Me, DH, and 3 yr old DS.

Lately we've been talking about trying a weekly trip instead of monthly... just because we are trying to eat healthier!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)