Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Do you ever get fruit flies? What is your remedy?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone have any tried and true remedies for fruit flies? I don't have them but neighbor across the street does.

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

We set out a clean tuna can filled with syrup from fruit.  Then we cover the can with plastic wrap and punch a few holes in it.  Leave it in the area with the most flies

Best way to prevent them is to get all produce off the counters and into the fridge.

angelgrl5200
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
We put out a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap. They fly into it and drown.
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Good question, we had them this summer and they drove me nuts. 

terri76
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I have heard of at least 6 people doing this method and they all said it works great. two of them being family members!

Quoting angelgrl5200: We put out a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap. They fly into it and drown.

diaperstodating
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Bump
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Apple cider vinegar for fly's, gnats and ants
t1gger143
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Vinegar or peroxide in your drains since they like to hide in there. We get them at least once a year produce or not. I have a garden and my yard is not huge. They tend to show up around the time the squash plants start blooming. I pour it down twice a day for a few days and they disappear.
megandwade
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I pour the vinegar down the drain and immediately remove all fruit from the counter tops!

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Fruit flies have a life span of about 2 weeks ... we simply shoo them till they die. Also - we do not have fruit flies in January ... it's -40 degrees here. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats the same thing I do .. we had alot.of them this summer and this really helped!

Quoting terri76:

I have heard of at least 6 people doing this method and they all said it works great. two of them being family members!

Quoting angelgrl5200: We put out a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap. They fly into it and drown.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement