Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Top 10 Biggest Food Trends 2013 #8

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

By Sharon Franke

8. Sriracha Sauce

You know this Asian hot sauce has gone mainstream when you see Sriracha Chicken Melt on Subway’s menu and Lay’s Sriracha-Flavored Potato Chips at the supermarket. Also known as “rooster sauce” because of the iconic bird on the bottle, this Thai condiment is a great stir-in forpho (the national soup in Vietnam) and better for dipping than other hot sauces because it’s thicker. Bad news, though: The California-based manufacturer has shut down production because of a community protest, and a shortage may mean you have to wait to try it. Good news: We’ve taste-tested other hot saucesthat we think are just as good.

Do you like Sriracha sauce?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terri76
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Toooooo Spicy for me but my son loves it!

MethuenMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Love it....From eggs, to popcorn, to pasta...It's so universal!

I have found Mad Dog 357 Scorpion Hot Sauce made locally here in Massachusetts.  Sweet and Spicy.  Kinda like me!  ;)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM

never had it

megandwade
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

DH loves it! He was disappointed to hear they shut down production and insisted we stock up!

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I have never had it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeygator
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been following this story. The factory has not shut down. A judge imposed a partial shutdown of the Sriracha factory. When in court with Huy Fong Foods earlier last year, the judge did not order a shutdown, partial or otherwise. Now the season for grinding the jalapenos is over for this fiscal year. The partial shutdown ruling came down after the factory had ground this year's jalapenos. The partial shutdown affects only the time of year that the jalapenos run wild out of the factory and into the city of Irwindale's olfactory glands. The city of Irwindale is going to work with Huy Fong foods to find a solution. Even the judge did not agree that all of the complaints were valid.

Sriracha Sauce is not going away. The factory will not close down. I'm pretty sure there's going be some experimenting because of this scare...so copy cat recipes will start showing up. With all the problems this country has, this is so trivial. Now you know the rest of the story.

pistolpink
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:06 AM
It was funny watching SO sweat his ass off finishing one of these sandwiches at Subway a few weeks ago.
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

LOL

Quoting pistolpink: It was funny watching SO sweat his ass off finishing one of these sandwiches at Subway a few weeks ago.

Honeygator
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

LOL, I was thinking that I forgot to add that Subway is not going into a long-term marketing campaign with a new sandwich featuring this sauce if there was any danger of the Huy Fong factory shutting down for good. It's not going to be cheap for Huy Fong to find a way to redesign a better building to keep the peppers out of the common air of Irwindale, move this chili grinding process to another location or source it out to another company, but that's all they need to do. I am not stocking up on Sriracha sauce, it's going to be around a long time.

I posted a thread about Sriracha Sauce awhile ago when the story first broke. I noticed the bottle in my fridge looked a lot like the bottle in the news article. DUH!!! I never knew it's name. I've always bought it at Asian stores. It's also called Rooster Sauce. I've been using it for years. The Huff Post has all of the news stories on this subject.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I'm not a fan of too much spice.....so no!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN