Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

help diagnose my cinnamon rolls

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok I've made these before and they turned out perfect but this time they didn't.
They aren't stretchy nice yeast rolls the texture is more cake like. I don't know what I didn't do right. Was my yeast old? It rose fine. Did I not kneading it enough or not enough flour? Could my flour be old? I don't know. I have had this yeast for a while now in my freezer. Maybe it's that.. or maybe the milk was too warm.
Help?
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM

If the dough rose, the yeast is fine....the milk was fine.  I'd suspect that you possibly added too much or not enough flour although it's hard to tell without seeing the rolls.  Maybe you let it rise too long?

Yeast does nicely when kept at room temp.  If you think you're not going to use it soon enough, put it in the fridge. 

kaybear123
by Kayla on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
I have no idea. Sorry!
lkane81
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
They did take longer to rise but I'm used to that esp in the winter.
I'm thinking i didn't kneading it enough or put enough flour.
I don't know and it had a strange taste too. I haven't baked bread or used yeast in about. 9 months just haven't had the time or in the mood so I put it in the freezer. I think it soaked up odors as it was in the small packs. Ill switch back to the jarred yeast. It keeps better.

Also I'd give a pick but I thought I put them far enough on the counter but the dog decided she wanted some and ate them. Oh well guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Quoting michiganmom116:

If the dough rose, the yeast is fine....the milk was fine.  I'd suspect that you possibly added too much or not enough flour although it's hard to tell without seeing the rolls.  Maybe you let it rise too long?

Yeast does nicely when kept at room temp.  If you think you're not going to use it soon enough, put it in the fridge. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM

watch the dog....my mom's dog did the same thing a couple of years ago and was pretty sick, throwing up raw dough  LOL

Quoting lkane81: They did take longer to rise but I'm used to that esp in the winter.
I don't know and it had a strange taste too. I haven't baked bread or used yeast in about. 9 months just haven't had the time or in the mood so I put it in the freezer. I think it soaked up odors as it was in the small packs. Ill switch back to the jarred yeast. It keeps better.

Also I'd give a pick but I thought I put them far enough on the counter but the dog decided she wanted some and ate them. Oh well guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Quoting michiganmom116:

lkane81
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Eww. Ya but they were already cooked so no raw dough. She already puked today after she found some grass under the snow.

Quoting michiganmom116:

watch the dog....my mom's dog did the same thing a couple of years ago and was pretty sick, throwing up raw dough  LOL

Quoting lkane81: They did take longer to rise but I'm used to that esp in the winter.

Quoting michiganmom116:

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM

It could have been old flour plus over rising. If you poke a finger about a half inch into your dough when you guess it's doubled in size, and the hole remains, it's ready. I always knead on a silicone mat so I don't risk adding too much flour or kneading too much. Good luck. My yeast seems happiest when I let it proof together in the hot water with a tsp of sugar. Happy yeast makes happy bread! :-)

lkane81
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Yea I'm thinking it was old flour. And the recipe says to mix the dry together including yeast then warm milk. I think I'll get new flour and dissolve the yeast first then mix it in. But don't think I let it over rise but I could have judged it wrong. But definitely not over knead. I try to kneading just enough to were its springy and not sticky. Usually about ten times.

Quoting suetoo:

It could have been old flour plus over rising. If you poke a finger about a half inch into your dough when you guess it's doubled in size, and the hole remains, it's ready. I always knead on a silicone mat so I don't risk adding too much flour or kneading too much. Good luck. My yeast seems happiest when I let it proof together in the hot water with a tsp of sugar. Happy yeast makes happy bread! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement