Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Five Ingredient Slowcooker Super Soup

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

There's nothing better than hot soup on a cold day. And considering the winter freeze that most of the  country has endured the past few months, we still have a bit of fridgit temperatures to come. So why not make a tasty and healthful soup in your slow cooker? All you need are five ingredients (I'm not counting the stuff you already have in your cupboard).

4 medium red potatoes

1-1/2 lbs. beef stew meat

1/3 cup flour

salt and pepper to taste

14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained

2 cups water

3 cups frozen stir fry bell peppers and onions

Scrub potatoes and cut each into quarters. Place in bottom of 4 quart slow cooker. Mix flour, salt and pepper and toss with beef to coat. Add to crockpot. Add undrained tomatoes and water and stir.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 7-8 hours until beef and potatoes are tender. Add stir fry vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are hot and tender.

Serve with a nice side salad and crusty French bread.

Moms, what are your favorite soup recipes for cold winter days?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:01 AM

This sounds yummy delicious! I like lots of different soups, especially bean soups. So filling and tasty.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Sounds easy!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM

We like homemade veggie soups, chicken soup, beef & veggie soup.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Creamy Broccoli Soup:

• 1 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli OR 16 oz. bag frozen broccoli;
  • 2 cups water;
  • 1 large stalk celery, chopped;
  • 1 medium onion (about 1/2 cup) chopped;
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter;
  • 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour;
  • 2 1/2 c. water;
  • 1 Tbsp OR 3 cubes instant chicken boullion;
  • 3/4 tsp. salt;
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper;
  • 1/2 c. whipping cream, evaporated milk or milk.

Cut up fresh broccoli into flowerets and bits of stalk. Heat 2 cups water to boiling in saucepan. Add broccoli, celery and onion. Cover and boil until tender about 10 minutes, do not drain. If you prefer, put vegetables and some liquid in blender and blend until desired consistency (I don't do this step). Heat margarine in large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 45 seconds. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 c. water, whisking or stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add boullion and stir to dissolve. Add vegetables and cooking water, heat back to boiling, then remove from heat and stir in cream or milk. Serve.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

my family loves this one!

Chicken Gumbo

• 6 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 lb. fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
  • 14 oz. can or 2 cups chicken broth
  • 3 c. water
  • 1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 8 oz. or 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 medium green pepper, diced

Shake chicken in a container or plastic bag with the salt and peppers.   Brown in a large pan with melted butter.  Add sausage, chicken broth, water and rice.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.  Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes.  Serve.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash

3 c. chicken broth

3/4 tsp. salt

dash of pepper

1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 c. coconut milk (optional)

1/8 to 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

Cut butternut squash lengthwise and remove seeds and stringy stuff with a spoon.  Place cut side down on a cookie sheet.  Add about 1/4 inch of water and bake at 350° until fork will easily pierce the squash all the way through.

Let squash cool a bit and then remove the pulp with a spoon, getting as much as possible.  Place into a large pot and mash well or puree.  Remove any strings that you might find.  Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Bring to a simmer over low/medium low heat, stirring constantly.  Add coconut milk and nutmeg and stir well to mix.  Serve hot, although it is also very tasty cold.

my4kids274
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM

This sounds good!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM

My kids make this and they all love it!  "No more canned stuff for us!" they said.

New England Clam Chowder

• 4 slices bacon, diced 
  • 1 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 4 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 c. half-and-half  (they used whole milk and it was a fine substitute)
  • 2   10 oz. cans minced clams

Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium heat.  Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes.  Stir in water and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.  

Add half-and-half (or milk) and butter.  Drain clams, reserving clam liquid.  Stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup (my kids added 1/2 c.....they didn't QUITE follow the directions.)  Cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through.  Do not allow to boil.

batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Sounds so easy too
My family would love this
Chicken soup the kids favorite
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM

yum thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN