Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy Families Start with Healthy Dinners

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
  • 26 Replies

Keeping my family healthy is always at the top of my priority list. It's not always easy, especially in the dinner department. And with picky eaters, it's even more difficult.

But I've found that if I give my kids the chance to help with dinner, they are more likely to eat what is on the menu. Here's how you can do it in your own home. Let them pick the veggies for quesadillas, omlettes, salads, burritos, pasta, or tacos. Make sure to keep a varitey of fresh veggies on hand, so that it's easy to grab when the urge strikes. I like green, red, and yellow bell peppers plus shredded carrots for a quick stir fry. Add chicken and rice and you've got a complete meal.

We top it all off with a post dinner walk. It helps my little ones get out any last minute wiggles, and to tell you the truth the fresh air really helps me clear my mind.

Moms, what are your quick tips for keeping your family healthy and happy?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Serving lots of locally grown  or harvested vegetables, fruits, fish and seafood.

lulalacroix
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:52 AM

Completely agree.  Letting them help cook makes them more interested in eating.  And I always make at least 2 vegetables for dinner so they have a choice.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Tip #1 for keeping my family healthy:  do NOT buy processed junk foods...if they're not in my home, the family won't eat them.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Tip #2:  veggies are prominent in our diet, followed by lean meats, healthy fats, some fruits, nuts.  I prefer to fill them up on healthy, nutrient dense foods vs. fillers like bread or pasta.  No fake foods, either  i.e. margarine or butter substitutes, sugar substitutes, etc

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Tip #3:  find healthy substitutes for favorite "unhealthy" foods, such as pizza salad instead of pizza, cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes, etc.

batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Keep healthy snacks available
batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
No processed foods in the house
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM

no processed food in the house

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Lots of veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Lots of fruits too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement