Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

The Battle of the Veggies - Kids vs. Parents

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:45 AM
  • 36 Replies

Kids can be sticklers for new foods and flavors so introducing new vegetables can be difficult. But, we still want our kids to be healthy well-rounded meals. So what is a parent to do?

Try making vegetables as palatable as possible by making them fun to eat!

Here are a few ideas that I've tried with my own five year old. Once he tried them, he really liked them!

Offer a wide variety of healthy dips for carrot and celery sticks. Try hummus, mild salsa, yogurt dip, or dressing.

Sliced cucumbers are great, but what about sliced zucchini? With a little bit of dressing, the taste is nearly the same but the nutrition level is much more compared to plain cucumber.

Make a colorful plate with all the colors of the rainbow - red bell peppers, orange carrots, green broccoli, blue berries, and grapes

Puree vegetables like eggplant or butternut squash and add to soups and sauces for a vitamin packed punch.

Moms, how do you get your kids to eat veggies?  

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM

I don't have to fight to get my kids to eat veggies.  Veggies have always been included in meals even before they were eating table food.  They love raw asparagus wrapped up in a slice of deli ham, or pepper strips with dip.  My granddaughter has also been exposed to veggies, and one of her favorite snacks is cherry tomatoes.  She even snuck tomatoes and peppers from the garden last year, at 18 months old.

JulietAngel89
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Tonight I made rissoles. I got a ton of vegetables and processed them so they were really tiny, almost a paste and mixed them in the meat and made meat balls. My 1 year old who never eats vegetables cleaned off her plate and looked for more. She had no idea that she ate a nice big serving of spinach, carrot, onion and potato. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:16 AM
I don't usually have a problem, they are used to veggies with meals.. it's very rare if we don't have a veggie with dinner
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:30 AM
My sister loved tomatoes at that age, her favorite were the beefsteak ones while walking through the grocery store.

Your granddaughter is 18 months already?! Where the heck has time gone?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't have to fight to get my kids to eat veggies.  Veggies have always been included in meals even before they were eating table food.  They love raw asparagus wrapped up in a slice of deli ham, or pepper strips with dip.  My granddaughter has also been exposed to veggies, and one of her favorite snacks is cherry tomatoes.  She even snuck tomatoes and peppers from the garden last year, at 18 months old.

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Never had a problem with my son. My stepchildren however, that is another story. They have gotten better as they have gotten older.
Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:34 AM
I prepare them the easy I like and eat them myself. They would see me liking them and want to try them.
The other thing I've done is grow a garden as a family. They are invested in them and are excited to try them once picked.

The other rule Iis that I will (almost) never say no to a request for a fruit or vegetable as a treat from the grocery store. Knowing this has made them willing to ask for the "exotic"
northernmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones that has kids that have always eaten their veggies without a problem. Dd would eat broccoli for every meal if she could
batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
When first introducing a new vegetable I would offer it two ways. Cooked carrots or fresh carrots. Then they could pick.
There older now and in the summer they go to farmers markets with me and pick out what they would like
I also have them plan the garden with me. My kids wouldn't eat green beans then we planted them in the garden they would pick them and eat fresh beans
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:21 AM

My kids were used to seeing lots of begetables on the table. My oldest was a little picky when he was little. I found that if I would sprinkle a little cheese on top of it and he'd eat anything. lol

thefiregoddess
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I.don't. She is served veggies at every meal. When she tries them if she doesn't like them we don't push it. We just serve it again and again and again.

So far we have gotten her to eat peas, spinach, tomatoes, eggplant and pumpkin. A year ago she wouldn't even look at those foods.

We puree and hide a lot of veggies in food though. (We do that for me)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement