• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Parties Galore

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM
  • 31 Replies

Now that my son is in preschool, it seems that we are invited to a birthday party nearly every weekend. With 28 kids in his class, I guess it's no surprise. 

We've been to some really great parties, some of which were so fun that the kids were nearly in tears when it was time to go home.

Now this left me wondering how I could make my son's birthday party just as special. And then it hit me. Not only would he have a party with his friends, but we would also bring cupcakes to his school for the day of his birthday. My mom did it for me, and now I was doing it for my son. Tradition!

Knowing that teachers are not big on sugary treats, we decided to make mini cupcakes and instead of frosting them, I added M&Ms to the batter. You could always use your favorite candy pieces in place. Whatever your child likes.

And to make the whole process go smoother, I used foil cupcake wrappers that are self-standing, so I didn't have to use my cupcake pans. This allowed me to cook lots and lots of the little guys at one time.

Bring them to school was easy. I just put them on a tin foil lined baking sheet and all thirty cupcakes fit perfectly. Along with racecar themed plates and napkins, we were good to go!

Moms, what do you do to make your child's birthday special?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:32 AM

My kids are older now....here are some of the things we did:

princess party:  the girls got all kinds of princess stuff to play make believe in a little stand up castle

Diva party:  the girls got to make their own lip gloss, they made jeweled CDs, we took pics of them "singing" on a makeshift mini stage

Army:  camouflage/Army everything for the boys, even the cake

water gun party....anything goes!

pool party

and of course sleep-overs with friends

northernmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:42 AM
We have the kids pick dinner on their actual birthday and we have a party the weekend after their actual birthday if it fall on a weekend.
mommy2zbg
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:05 AM

This year for my sons birthday, we had a bounce house and hot dogs. He got to pick his cake, cups, plates, and napkins out. They were themed Cars. The actual day of his birthday, I took off work early and took some Chocolate Chip cookies and some apple juice to his class. They all loved it and my son was in Heaven.

johnny4ever
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Do something special

elasmimi
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

We have always had a big party, invited all her classmates, but it's getting a little pricey. Thinking about cutting back this year, just her and a couple of friends doing dinner and a movie or skating.

Maries_Mom23
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Some people may not like my answer...our girls are now 10 and 7.  The last party we had was when the youngest turned 6.  We no longer have parties.  We used to do the themed crap and spend too much money on decor on food, only to have not a lot of people show up.  So, we quit doing them.  No more parties and I couldn't be happier!  :)

Now, the birthday girl gets to choose a weekend trip of her choice.  Our oldest turned 10 in October.  We went to Columbus, OH.  COSI and the zoo for a couple of days.  Our youngest just turned 7 2 weeks ago.  Weather was crappy, so, we are holding off until spring break (week of the 14th) and going to Pittsburgh.  She wants to go to the Children's Science Museum, Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and the zoo.  

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Depends on the age but I always make their favorite dinner

We have done big parties when they were
Little
Pirate party
Lego party

My son turns 13 in 11 days :(
Still not sure what I'm going to do for that special birthday
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM

We do whatever kind of party my dd wants, along with dinner and cake of her choice. I do treats at school (my dd has a summer birthday, so we just pick a day), birthday party at summer camp, and a family party.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM
We love birthdays here! I bring her a special lunch at school, treats for the class, parties...we have fun. :)
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM
That diva one sounds like fun!

Quoting michiganmom116:

My kids are older now....here are some of the things we did:

princess party:  the girls got all kinds of princess stuff to play make believe in a little stand up castle

Diva party:  the girls got to make their own lip gloss, they made jeweled CDs, we took pics of them "singing" on a makeshift mini stage

Army:  camouflage/Army everything for the boys, even the cake

water gun party....anything goes!

pool party

and of course sleep-overs with friends

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)