Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Welcome Spring With a Party!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

After the long, brutally cold winter most of us have had to endure, spring is enough to make us feel like celebrating. But once you have kids, it sometimes feels like the only parties we ever get to host or attend are kid birthdays and family occasions. I say it's time to reclaim our social lives!

I've become a big fan of informal, fairly easy-to-handle parties that can work indoors or out and are easy and inexpensive to throw together. One of our all time favorites has been a happy hour party. We put the word out that we'll be hosting happy hour from, say, 4-7 on a Friday, and people can feel free to stop by on their way home from work or out to dinner. It's really easy to host...just have some simple snacks (cheese and crackers, mini quiches, or hummus with veggies) and some wine and beer as well as ample nonalcoholic choices. We rarely serve mixed drinks at our parties, but if your friends are cocktail fans, mixing up a pitcher of something you'll all like is a nice touch. 

Of course, you can do this without any alcohol at all! Strawberry lemonade makes a great nonalcoholic beverage that lets alcohol-free folks feel like they too have something a little special to enjoy; we also like a selection of fancy French or Italian sodas in pretty bottles, sparkling water, and iced tea or hot cocoa, depending on the weather.

What's your favorite kind of party?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/sumerphotography

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I love outdoor parties! 

....we're still waiting for spring's decision to stay.  The calendar may show that we're in spring, but the weather is still lousy.

mommy2zbg
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I don't usually throw parties but when the weather is nice, we might go to the local pub or restaurant and sit out on their patio and soak up the sun, enjoy some conversation and maybe a drink or two.

We do a few cookouts though, even if it is just with family.

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Outside parties!

We have a pretty big backyard and a basketball court so I love to have friends and family out under the pavilion and grilling
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

My husbands idea ... Craft beer and crab leg party
johnny4ever
Happy 11th Birthday Daniel!!!
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
by Tracy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM

BBQ Parties

virginiamama71
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Quoting johnny4ever:

BBQ Parties

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM

when I see family or friends there

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Pretty pic!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I love outdoor parties!

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I LOVE strawberry lemonade!!!

My aunt throws a welcome to summe party every year : ) She has a pool and we do cookout foods, it's fun. Her and her sisters do all the cooking. My uncle does the grilling. He owns a catering company so his co-worker comes and helps too. It's so much fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement