Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Rock Your Turn as Snack Parent

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

In my kids' soccer league, every parent takes a turn being responsible for snack after practice once or twice during the season. It's nice because no one person gets stuck with it, but not so nice when you have to contend with allergies, food preferences, and (let's face it) judgy parents.

I personally don't like to let my kids have juice (too much sugar) but juice boxes seem to be the go-to after-practice drink. If you can, try to get the kind that are lower sugar and have a serving of veggies snuck in. These are great for my pickypants who turns up his nose at veggies but will happily enjoy a juice box since I so rarely let those happen.

Another idea is infused water. The night before the practice, load up a pitcher or drink dispenser with slices of oranges, berries, or pineapple (or whatever you like, really) and fill with enough water to cover the fruit. Before the game, add a generous amount of ice so the drink will stay cold and haul it to the field. It's refreshing and appeals to kids who don't like plain water.

Most parents also pass out granola bars, which is a fine snack, but read labels and look for bars with less sugar and unidentifiable ingredients and more fruit and whole grains. If nut allergies are not a problem with your team, try trail mix. Both these options can get pricey for a big team, so look for sales and coupons on the brands you like.

And of course, orange slices are the classic post-soccer snack for a good reason....they are hydrating, have sugar to restore the energy the kids burned off on the field, and are easy to make, transport and eat.

What's your go-to snack when it's your turn as snack parent?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/monkeybusinessimages

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Ya know I've never had to bring a snack like that to a game...something to think about though!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:07 AM

We've brought cider and donuts, milk and bananas, juice and trail mix

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Fruit kabobs

Aussie bites

For football season bananas for half time

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM

fresh fruit

terri76
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Fresh Fruit, Trail Mix, Goldfish....
elasmimi
by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM

We use Gator Aid instead of juice boxes.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on May. 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Trail Mix & boxed juice

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Bananas

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I always do something easy like pre bagged snacks.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Cider and donuts sounds really good right now!

Quoting michiganmom116:

We've brought cider and donuts, milk and bananas, juice and trail mix

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN