Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Lasagna variations

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

We've all had the beef & tomato version, I would think, but how about other versions? 

Great Debates – Veggie vs Meat Lasagna

Share recipes!

by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Chicken and cheese make a great dish for kid appeal:

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna

• 3 Tbsp. margarine
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom pieces, drained
  • 1/3 c. milk
  • 16 oz. container cottage cheese
  • 6 lasagna noodles, cooked
  • 2 to 3 c. cooked chicken, cut up
  • 1 8 oz. pkg shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 8 oz. pkg. shredded Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in a medium saucepan and saute onion. Stir in soup, mushrooms, milk and cottage cheese. Layer half the noodles in a 9 x 13 pan. Cover with 1/2 the sauce mixture, 1/2 the chicken and 1/2 of each the Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses. Repeat and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids LOVED this!

Chicken Alfredo Lasagna

• 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained well (squeeze it to get most of the water out)
  • 3 to 4 c. cut up cooked chicken
  • 2 16 oz. jars Alfredo sauce ( I made my own alfredo sauce)
  • 4 c. mozzarella cheese
  • 2 pints ricotta cheese (I used a 24 oz. carton of cottage cheese :-) )

In a medium bowl, combine chicken and one jar of alfredo sauce, stir together. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta and drained, cooked spinach, and stir. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, place one layer of lasagna noodles, edges overlapping. Pour chicken and alfredo sauce mixture over noodle layer and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella over chicken mixture. Top with another layer of noodles. Spread spinach mixture evenly over noodles. Pour 1/2 of remaining jar of alfredo sauce over spinach mixture, spread evenly. Sprinkle another cup of mozzarella over sauce, lay on the final noodle layer and top with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until top is brown and bubbly.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Olive Garden Style Vegetarian Lasagna
A bountiful vegetable mixture, a rich ricotta cheese mixture, and a homemade, cream sauce make this vegetarian lasagna well worth the extra effort.

Ingredients
Alfredo Sauce:

• 1/2 lb. Sweet or salted butter
  • 12 oz. Heavy cream
  • Fresh ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Parmesan -- grate
  • 18 slices Mozzarella cheese -- 1/2 oz. ea

Ricotta Mixture:

• 1 pint Ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. Romano -- grate
  • 3 oz. Mozzarella -- shred
  • 2 Tbs. Green onions -- slice
  • 2 tsp. Fresh parsley -- chop
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 C. Alfredo sauce – cooled

Vegetable Mixture:

• 4 C. Broccoli florets
  • 2 C. Carrots; sliced 1/4" -- then chopped
  • 4 C. Mushrooms -- slice 1/4"
  • 2 C. Red bell peppers -- dice
  • 1 C. Green bell pepper -- dice
  • 1 C. Yellow onion -- dice
  • 2 C. Zucchini -- slice

Lasagna noodles

Directions
Lay out enough dry lasagna noodles in a 9x13 pan to ensure you have enough to make 3 full layers, with very little overlap on each layer. Remove the dry strips and cook according to package instructions until barely "al dente" and drain.

Alfredo Sauce: Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler. Add butter, cream and pepper to the top pot and heat until butter is completely melted, then stir in Parmesan until melted and blended. Remove top pot and set aside to cool. Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Refrigerate 1 portion for use later.

Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Set aside at room temp.

Vegetables: Combine all veggies and mix well.

Assembly: Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable spray. Lay out cooked lasagna strips (about 4) to cover entire bottom. Spread 1-1/4 c of the Ricotta mix evenly over the strips. Top with 8 c of veggie mix and spread out evenly. Lay out 9 of the mozzarella slices to cover the veggie layer. Repeat this layering. Top the second layer of mozzarella slices with lasagna strips and spread them evenly with 1-1/4 c ricotta cheese mix to finish. Cooking: Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake in a preheated 375~ oven for about an hour or until the internal temp is 165~. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes, covered, before cutting and serving. Immediately prior to serving, heat the reserved portion of Alfredo Sauce and ladle the hot sauce over each slice of lasagna as it is served. Serves 8.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM

From Taste of Home April/May 2000

Easter Brunch Lasagna

• 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • dash of white pepper (black will work fine if you don't have white)
  • 3 c. milk
  • 1/4 c. chopped green onions
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce (could be optional)
  • 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
  • 2 c. diced fully cooked ham
  • 1 10 oz. pkg frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
  • 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
  • 3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 hard cooked eggs, finely chopped

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 more minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in onion, lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce.

spread 1/4 of the white sauce in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Top with 3 noodles half of the ham and broccoli, 3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese, 1 c. cheddar cheese, half of the eggs and 1/4 of the white sauce.  Repeat layers.  Top with the remaing noodles, white sauce, and cheeses.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.  Let stand 45 minutes before cutting.

Muffins and fresh fruit will round out the meal very nicely!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Zucchini Lasagna (Lasagne) - Low Carb

By Marg (CaymanDesigns) on September 14, 1999

Photo

Photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)

• timer
  • Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 50 mins
  • Servings: 4

About This Recipe

"Great for anyone going low carb OR who has so many zucchini, they don't know what to do!! :) We found the sauce to be very mild. I think it would be better with twice as much garlic. I boiled my zucchini slices for about 3 minutes so they were partially cooked. I wanted to make sure they were soft in the finished dish or I knew the kids wouldn't eat them. ;) The cottage cheese provides a slightly tangy note. I think we would have preferred ricotta, but that is personal taste. I use my 11x7 baking dish and got 6 pieces the size of what you see in my photos. Both of the guys ate two so it fed 4 of us, and I double the meat. Adjust the recipe accordingly for your family."

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( about 2 medium)
    • 1/2 lb lean ground beef ( I use 1 lb.)
    • 1/4 cup onions, chopped
    • 2 small tomatoes, cut up
    • 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    • 1 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 eggs
    • 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese ( or low fat or fat free ricotta)
    • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ( I use 8 oz. divided)
    • 1 teaspoon flour

Directions

1. Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
  3. In small bowl slightly beat egg.
  4. Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
  5. In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.

Directions

1. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
  3. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Taco Lasagna

• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2/3 c. water
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning (I use my recipe from the July 2009 post)
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes & chilies, undrained
  • 6 flour tortillas
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 8 to 12 oz. shredded Mexican cheese blend

Cook the ground meat, peppers, and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Stir in the black beans and Rotel tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Place 2 tortillas in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread with 1/2 the refried beans and beef mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 - 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.

rhiannonaisling
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Mom’s Lasagna (Makes 2 pans)
20 servings
1 lb hot or mild bulk Italian Sausage
2 jars Any Spaghetti Sauce
2 lbs mozzarella cheese
1 c ricotta
1 c cottage cheese
1 egg
1tsp Italian seasoning
1 can sliced black olives
1/2c parmesan cheese
12 no boil lasagna noodles (for 2 layers. Increase by 12 for every 2 layers desired. so for 4 layers use 24 and so on.
1 c shredded zucchini, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Brown Italian sausage and crumble. Combine sausage and sauce. Heat through. *Combine mozzarella cheese with shredded zucchini. Combine cottage cheese, egg, ricotta cheese and seasons. Place in both 9x13 pans a thin layer of sauce and sausage mix. Then place a single layer of no boil noodles. On top of the noodles spread a layer of the ricotta mix. Top that with a thin layer of mozzarella. Repeat for the desired number of layers of noodles. (If more than 2-3 noodle layers then increase recipe to adjust for desired number) When you have achieved the desired number of layers top the lasagna with the remaining mozzarella cheese, olives and parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the lasagna is baked through. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes if baking straight from the freezer. If cheese is browning too fast you made need to cover with tinfoil sprayed with oil and placed oil side down on pan.
*Note that the zucchini can be added to the sausage and sauce mixture instead of to the mozzarella cheese.
Serve with a green salad and French or Garlic Bread.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:13 AM
TFS!
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Oh this one I'm going to try but I'll make my own Alfredo sauce

Great idea my kids will love this

Quoting michiganmom116:

My kids LOVED this!

Chicken Alfredo Lasagna

• 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained well (squeeze it to get most of the water out)
  • 3 to 4 c. cut up cooked chicken
  • 2 16 oz. jars Alfredo sauce ( I made my own alfredo sauce)
  • 4 c. mozzarella cheese
  • 2 pints ricotta cheese (I used a 24 oz. carton of cottage cheese :-) )

In a medium bowl, combine
chicken and one jar of alfredo sauce, stir together. In a separate
bowl, combine ricotta and drained, cooked spinach, and stir.
In
a 9 x 13 baking dish, place one layer of lasagna noodles, edges
overlapping. Pour chicken and alfredo sauce mixture over noodle layer
and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella over chicken
mixture. Top with another layer of noodles. Spread spinach mixture
evenly over noodles. Pour 1/2 of remaining jar of alfredo sauce over
spinach mixture, spread evenly. Sprinkle another cup of mozzarella
over sauce, lay on the final noodle layer and top with remaining 2 cups
of mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste. Bake 50 to 60 minutes,
until top is brown and bubbly.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM

That sounds really good!

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Mom’s Lasagna (Makes 2 pans) 20 servings 1 lb hot or mild bulk Italian Sausage 2 jars Any Spaghetti Sauce 2 lbs mozzarella cheese 1 c ricotta 1 c cottage cheese 1 egg 1tsp Italian seasoning 1 can sliced black olives 1/2c parmesan cheese 12 no boil lasagna noodles (for 2 layers. Increase by 12 for every 2 layers desired. so for 4 layers use 24 and so on. 1 c shredded zucchini, optional Preheat oven to 375 degrees Brown Italian sausage and crumble. Combine sausage and sauce. Heat through. *Combine mozzarella cheese with shredded zucchini. Combine cottage cheese, egg, ricotta cheese and seasons. Place in both 9x13 pans a thin layer of sauce and sausage mix. Then place a single layer of no boil noodles. On top of the noodles spread a layer of the ricotta mix. Top that with a thin layer of mozzarella. Repeat for the desired number of layers of noodles. (If more than 2-3 noodle layers then increase recipe to adjust for desired number) When you have achieved the desired number of layers top the lasagna with the remaining mozzarella cheese, olives and parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the lasagna is baked through. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes if baking straight from the freezer. If cheese is browning too fast you made need to cover with tinfoil sprayed with oil and placed oil side down on pan. *Note that the zucchini can be added to the sausage and sauce mixture instead of to the mozzarella cheese. Serve with a green salad and French or Garlic Bread.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN