Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Feed a Crowd (and Still Enjoy Your Party!)

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this

Party season is upon us...it's time for First Communions, graduation parties, wedding showers, school end of year potlucks, and more fun events. Hosting these things can be stressful....what to feed all those people that doesn't involve being stuck in the kitchen while everyone has fun without you, or spending an insane amount of money on having food catered?

1) Make ahead as much as possible. The fewer things you have to do at the last minute, the more time you'll have to relax and enjoy your guests (and you won't be standing over the stove whispering "just COOK already!" at your dish while your guests start getting restless). Egg casseroles are great for this. They need to cook for about an hour, but you actually have to throw them together the night before so that hour is all walk-away time you can use to do other things.

2) Your slow cooker is your friend. My go-to large party dish is low cooker pulled pork. Here's how you make it: The night before you are ready to serve (or, a day or two ahead if you need to), take a large piece of pork shoulder or butt (5-7 lbs will feed about 10 people), slice up some onions in the bottom of the slow cooker, plop the giant hunk of pork on top of them, pour over a two-liter bottle of ginger ale, and cook on low overnight. In the morning, when the pork is cool enough to handle, shred it and mix it with your barbecue sauce of choice. Chop up the onions and mix them in too. Then throw the whole thing back in the cooker and cook for about six more hours on low, until it's heated through and everything melds together. Serve on hamburger buns with coleslaw and cornbread. SO GOOD.

3) Have one awesome dish and relax about the rest. Do you make the best potato salad in the world? Are you a fabulous cake decorator, or cookie maker? Do you have a signature dish from your family heritage that you love to introduce to people? Spend your time there, and don't stress about making everything else perfect. People will remember your specialty and look forward to coming back.

What is your go-to party dish?

Image ŠiStockPhoto/tilo

by on May. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 7, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm ashamed to say that I'm known for my desserts that I've made for MANY past parties.  I would rather be known for something more healthy, such as my sweet potato salad.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM

BBQ chicken sandwiches, or a pasta dish, I always have a fresh fruit platter.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I don't really have a go-to dish.  I like to change things up when I have guests over.

slw123
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Sam's Club is a great place to pick up all your party needs, lol.  I don't enjoy cooking enough to put together a bunch of food, but I love a party.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Vegetable tray and hummus

Fruit in a watermelon

Wings in the crockpot

Shredded chicken sliders
countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

We love parties!  I like to do pasta for parties.  In the winter I will do a hot pasta like an Italian pasta dish and in the summer I often do a pasta salad. 

arpazia
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM
I don't really have one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Anything easy to make although I usually jsut buy something.

splatz
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Buffalo chicken dip or pizza balls. 

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

good ideas. I like making side dishes or salads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement