Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New ideas for meals / picky eater

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello everyone,   I need some advice / ideas for new recipes.... I have a 23 month old who only wants to eat waffles,pancakes, apples,bananas,fiber one cereal, clementines, goldfish,pretzels, soup,chicken noodle or vegetable & milk..... He doesn't seem to like eggs, no matter how I make them. Not a huge fan of pasta with either tomato sauce or butter. Doesn't like Mac & cheese. Won't eat sandwiches. Used to love grilled cheeses & quesadillas now won't eat them. Won't eat pieces of meat. Will eat black bean chili on occasion. Made couscous with veggies & orange roughy & he liked that........pedtritician said not to worry because he is drinking milk & getting nutrients from that but I feel like he should be eating!!!! Something!!!!!  Some days he barely eats anything. It's so frustrating because I make him all these meals & he won't eat them. But sure enough he will scarf down the waffles!!!!!!!! Help!!!!! Going bonkers!!!!!!!!! Lunch is my biggest daily battle cuz I have no idea what to feed him!!!!!!! Help

by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 6:25 AM

He has made some healthy choices.  Kids' tastes change all the time, so I would just keep introducing a new food every now and then but feed him his healthy favorites. 

My granddaughter is 28 months old.  Her lunch with us on Saturday was diced ham, cheddar cheese, blackberries, maybe 2/3 c. total volume of food.  She prefers fresh fruit over cookies or cake, and her favorite snack is grape tomatoes.  She's picky, but she eats good healthy foods.

kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I am having the same problem with my oldest! He used to eat everything and now is so picky so i am no help. Sorry!

megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I have a 3yr old who is extremely picky as well. I feel your pain. My son's diet is pretty similar to your sons. No meat, no veggies.. For example he will eat pureed veggies but not whole veggies. So we get him fruit and veggie pouches. It's like apple sauce but with a serving of veggies hidden inside. We do Veggie straws instead of chips. Freeze dried fruit crisps..

They say sometimes you have to offer a food over and over again before some kids will accept it. Which I've found true with a few things.. like strawberries. I had to have offered strawberries at least 20 times before he finally tried one! Then that's all he would eat for awhile.. and now, he no longer eats them! Having a picky eater can be alot of work!

Another thing I've found is packaging makes a big difference. He wouldn't eat apple slices.. as soon as we discovered apple slices that cost twice as much as regular apple slices but have a picture of Mickey Mouse on the front he decided to try apple! Save the Mickey Mouse packaging and place your own apple in the bag.. ta dah! So little tricks like that seem to help sometimes..

Sometimes my guy will go all day without eating as well.. and you worry. How could they possibly not be hungry?! I've been told the same thing.. He is good weight and seems healthy so not to worry just offer healthy food when he does eat!

strictmomhere
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Honestly now is the time to not let him be picky make him try new food when i married my hubby my girls were toddlers and he had a eat whats cooked or go with out rule they started eating veggies and fish now love most foods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lionsmom951
by New Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

The best advice my mom ever gave me about my babies was "You can't force them to eat, and you can't force them to sleep."  You'll make yourself crazy if you try.  It sounds like you are giving him some good choices and as long as he's getting a little variety with a balance of protein & carbs, that's good.

My son went on the "white food diet" when he was that age. He would eat potatoes, white yogurt, cottage cheese, rice, white chicken, cauliflower  etc. But if there was color - forget it!  We laugh about it now because he is an 11 yr old bottomless pit and eats Everything.

andersongirl562
by on May. 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Only offer healthy foods and if he chooses to not eat them don't make him something different. He won't starve himself.
2ekjade
by New Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Quoting megandwade:

I have a 3yr old who is extremely picky as well. I feel your pain. My son's diet is pretty similar to your sons. No meat, no veggies.. For example he will eat pureed veggies but not whole veggies. So we get him fruit and veggie pouches. It's like apple sauce but with a serving of veggies hidden inside. We do Veggie straws instead of chips. Freeze dried fruit crisps..

They say sometimes you have to offer a food over and over again before some kids will accept it. Which I've found true with a few things.. like strawberries. I had to have offered strawberries at least 20 times before he finally tried one! Then that's all he would eat for awhile.. and now, he no longer eats them! Having a picky eater can be alot of work!

Another thing I've found is packaging makes a big difference. He wouldn't eat apple slices.. as soon as we discovered apple slices that cost twice as much as regular apple slices but have a picture of Mickey Mouse on the front he decided to try apple! Save the Mickey Mouse packaging and place your own apple in the bag.. ta dah! So little tricks like that seem to help sometimes..

Sometimes my guy will go all day without eating as well.. and you worry. How could they possibly not be hungry?! I've been told the same thing.. He is good weight and seems healthy so not to worry just offer healthy food when he does eat!

Thank u for the advice!!! I'm not alone!!! Will continue doing what I've been doing & try some
O your tricks. Fingers crossed thanks again
mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:09 AM
I agree with this and keep introducing new foods.

Quoting andersongirl562: Only offer healthy foods and if he chooses to not eat them don't make him something different. He won't starve himself.
copperswifey
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Same here :/

Quoting kaybear123:

I am having the same problem with my oldest! He used to eat everything and now is so picky so i am no help. Sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)