Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Diet

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

Any of you ladies on a diet?

Any certain things you can or cannot have?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 6, 2014 at 7:03 AM

I follow a natural foods/whole foods/nutrient dense/no refined sugar diet for my health.  I avoid refined sugars (use a little honey/maple syrup only), grains (low nutrient density, have anti-nutrients), legumes (anti-nutrients), milk (still use cheese), and processed foods (meals in a box, canned soup, frozen dinners, etc.)

I have all the veggies I want, low glycemic fruits (berries, apples, pears, some citrus, etc.), lean meats (and sometimes even bacon!), healthy fats such as coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, fatty wild-caught fish, butter....nuts and seeds (and their derivatives such as flours/butter.)

I do "cheat" once in a while, but not in a huge amount...usually just a few bites if that.

northernmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I'm not really on a diet but I try to eat as little processed foods as I can.
CorbinsMumma
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:20 AM
what's refined sugars mean

Quoting michiganmom116:

I follow a natural foods/whole foods/nutrient dense/no refined sugar diet for my health.  I avoid refined sugars (use a little honey/maple syrup only), grains (low nutrient density, have anti-nutrients), legumes (anti-nutrients), milk (still use cheese), and processed foods (meals in a box, canned soup, frozen dinners, etc.)

I have all the veggies I want, low glycemic fruits (berries, apples, pears, some citrus, etc.), lean meats (and sometimes even bacon!), healthy fats such as coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, fatty wild-caught fish, butter....nuts and seeds (and their derivatives such as flours/butter.)

I do "cheat" once in a while, but not in a huge amount...usually just a few bites if that.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM

any granulated sugars such as white sugar, brown sugar, and HFCS or anything that isn't natural/I can't gather it or make it in my kitchen.

I also avoid artificial sweeteners.

Quoting CorbinsMumma: what's refined sugars mean
Quoting michiganmom116:

mommy2zbg
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yup me too.

Quoting northernmommy: I'm not really on a diet but I try to eat as little processed foods as I can.

SpiritFortress
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I stick mostly to whole grains, fruits and veggies (could do way better on the fruits lately), low-fat dairy, and lean meats. I eat eggs and am planning on visiting a woman I know who gets meat from someone who doesn't use all the hormones and antibiotics on the animals. I'm going to look for a source for milk too because I haven't found organic milk in a carton less than one gallon and I can't use that much milk. It's just too much for me. So I'm in the process of finding better food sources but am doing the best I know how right now. 

I've been checking labels to make sure I buy nothing with high fructose corn syrup or the other sneaky names they hide high fructose corn syrup behind. I believe in eating a variety of good foods and by good I mean not processed into toxicity, not pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, covered in pesticides and herbicides, and you'd think it would be a no-brainer and easy to shop the right way but with our FDA it's easier to poison ourselves. Sad. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not on a diet, we try to eat healthy
megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Ugh.. we're working on it! It seems like every time we get into a good swing of eating healthier and feeling better some type of holiday occurs and then our house is loaded with junk food! It's ridiculous.. next year I am definitely going to stress no candy to our family members for Easter. I was just going through the cupboard today thinking what I could possible do with all this candy to get it out of the house without throwing it away? I feel so bad just tossing it. They all spent good money on it.. and it was gifted to my son.. but I feel even worse having this much junk in the house! Not to mention it's taking up valuable space that I could be using for much healthier snack options! 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I'm not on a diet but try to eat as healthy as I can.  I don't deprive myself either

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM

what about Horizon milk or Organic Valley...it comes in 1/2 gallon

Quoting SpiritFortress:

I stick mostly to whole grains, fruits and veggies (could do way better on the fruits lately), low-fat dairy, and lean meats. I eat eggs and am planning on visiting a woman I know who gets meat from someone who doesn't use all the hormones and antibiotics on the animals. I'm going to look for a source for milk too because I haven't found organic milk in a carton less than one gallon and I can't use that much milk. It's just too much for me. So I'm in the process of finding better food sources but am doing the best I know how right now. 

I've been checking labels to make sure I buy nothing with high fructose corn syrup or the other sneaky names they hide high fructose corn syrup behind. I believe in eating a variety of good foods and by good I mean not processed into toxicity, not pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, covered in pesticides and herbicides, and you'd think it would be a no-brainer and easy to shop the right way but with our FDA it's easier to poison ourselves. Sad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement