Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Dehydrator

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 26 Replies
Anyone have one? What do you use it for? Got any good recipes?
by on May. 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I do!

I make jerky, banana chips, apple chips, veggie chips, dried strawberries, fruit leather, dried herbs.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 9, 2014 at 8:48 PM

and I make granola

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 9, 2014 at 8:48 PM

This is one of my uncle's recipes. We made it using thin strips of round steak and chicken breast. I haven't tried fish yet, but I think it would be GOOD!

Jerky

3/4 c. barbecue sauce (we used my honey BBQ sauce recipe from July 2009 posts)
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. honey or brown sugar
1/2 c. Tender Quick salt (curing salt)
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. liquid smoke (we used hickory)
2 Tbsp. garlic salt
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients. Pour over strips of beef, venison, chicken or poultry in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 36 hours, stirring every 2 hours. Hang strips to dry in warm oven (about 200°) for 12 to 15 hours (until meat is dry) or in a dehydrator (ours took about 8 hours to dry.)

I prefer to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM
What do use for your jerky?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I do!

I make jerky, banana chips, apple chips, veggie chips, dried strawberries, fruit leather, dried herbs.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Shoulda kept reading! Lolol!!

Quoting michiganmom116: This is one of my uncle's recipes. We made it using thin strips of
round steak and chicken breast. I haven't tried fish yet, but I think
it would be GOOD!Jerky3/4 c. barbecue sauce (we used my honey BBQ sauce recipe from July 2009 posts)1/2 c. molasses1/2 c. honey or brown sugar1/2 c. Tender Quick salt (curing salt)1/2 c. water1/4 c. liquid smoke (we used hickory)2 Tbsp. garlic salt2 Tbsp. white vinegar1 Tbsp. dry mustard1 Tbsp. ground black pepperCombine
all ingredients. Pour over strips of beef, venison, chicken or
poultry in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 36 hours, stirring
every 2 hours. Hang strips to dry in warm oven (about 200°) for 12 to
15 hours (until meat is dry) or in a dehydrator (ours took about 8
hours to dry.)I prefer to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:52 PM
This is on my list. I've got fruit going right now. I'm excited to see how it goes.

Quoting michiganmom116:

and I make granola

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I think you'll really enjoy it!

My DIL does a lot of dehydrating.  She makes baby food by dehydrating the fruits/veggies, blending the dried food into a powder, then she can store the powder and rehydrate/use only what is needed.  She also made several meals for them for camping by dehydrating foods, mixing them according to a recipe or few, then the meals could be rehydrated and eaten.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: This is on my list. I've got fruit going right now. I'm excited to see how it goes.
Quoting michiganmom116:

and I make granola

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I was actually thinking of doing a "green" powder for my smoothies. I love that idea for baby food!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I think you'll really enjoy it!

My DIL does a lot of dehydrating.  She makes baby food by dehydrating the fruits/veggies, blending the dried food into a powder, then she can store the powder and rehydrate/use only what is needed.  She also made several meals for them for camping by dehydrating foods, mixing them according to a recipe or few, then the meals could be rehydrated and eaten.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: This is on my list. I've got fruit going right now. I'm excited to see how it goes.

Quoting michiganmom116:

and I make granola

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Genius. If I have more I'm totally doing it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Here's how another woman does it:  http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/make-your-own-dehydrated-baby-food/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement