Zucchini Bread: Meals With Mileage Leftovers
Flickr photo by ccharmon
Got any zucchini left over from yesterday's pasta dish? Another way I love the green squash is in sweet bread form. That's right, zucchini bread.
And just to make it even more indulgent, I like to add chocolate chips.
I could eat this for breakfast or dessert. Plus, it's a great way to sneak veggies in your kids' food. Shhh!
Zucchini Bread from Smitten Kitchen
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 cup dried raisins or chocolate chips or a combination (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (8" x 4") loaf pans liberally.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using.
- Stir this into egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake loaves about 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted into center comes out clean.