Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Opinions and advice please

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
So I sell baked goods at the local farm market. I had a few ideas for new things that I'd like thoughts on.
One idea is instead of, or as well as, my mini pies I thought about making snack pies, without a tin. Sort of like the snack pies you buy at the convenience store. Something people could eat on the go, perhaps while browsing the other tables. Any advice on baking something like that? Like if I should flip them so as not to burn one side? Thoughts appreciated.
Another thought is I want to learn to make shortcake and sell mini shortcake cups that people can buy to go with their fresh strawberries.
Any other suggestions, for good market ideas would be totally appreciated also. Thanks ladies :)
by on May. 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I think both ideas are good. Google hand pies or Fried pies. They can also be baked.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I call the pies turnovers...drizzle with a little vanilla glaze, too.

Maybe some mini quick breads and muffins made with the seasonal fruits.  People can eat them while browsing, too!

megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I love the idea of the mini shortcake cups!

northernmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM
If you are able a gluten free snack would probably go over well. They are always in high demand at our farmers market and fly off the tables.
ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

please be careful of nut allergies when baking. It makes it easier for those with nut allergies if you advertise nut free if you in fact are. thanks and those pies sound like a great idea!

tecsabates
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Oh yeah, I'm very careful about nut allergies. I have two nephews with severe allergies, so I try to be aware. I do all my nut free baking one day and stuff with nuts the next day :)

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

please be careful of nut allergies when baking. It makes it easier for those with nut allergies if you advertise nut free if you in fact are. thanks and those pies sound like a great idea!

tecsabates
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I offer several sugar free options... I hadn't thought about gluten free...good idea, thanks :)

Quoting northernmommy: If you are able a gluten free snack would probably go over well. They are always in high demand at our farmers market and fly off the tables.
tecsabates
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, just like turnovers only with pie crust instead of pastry crust.
I do several sweet breads, and the mini loaves are very popular. Banana bread is my best seller.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I call the pies turnovers...drizzle with a little vanilla glaze, too.

Maybe some mini quick breads and muffins made with the seasonal fruits.  People can eat them while browsing, too!

tecsabates
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I did google hand pies and found some great tecipes, thanks!

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think both ideas are good. Google hand pies or Fried pies. They can also be baked.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Thats good to hear. 

Quoting tecsabates: Oh yeah, I'm very careful about nut allergies. I have two nephews with severe allergies, so I try to be aware. I do all my nut free baking one day and stuff with nuts the next day :)
Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN