Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Celebrating My Son's First Birthday

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a secret to tell you. I've been planning my son's first birthday party since he was just a few months old. Why? It's one of the biggest celebrations a family can have. It's the culmination of a year of hard work as a parent, and a moment to step back and reflect on all the growing your child has done.

I'm thinking of doing a circus theme for his party. There are so many options for d├ęcor, decorations and favors but what I'm really excited about is the cake. Nothing is better htan watching a little guy dig in to his first piece. It's messy but so worth it.

I envision the cake as a three tiered round chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream frosting. I will also decorate the outside of the cake with circus cookies (you know, the pink and white frosted sprinkled cookies that you loved as a kid?). I love cakes homemade cakes. There's something about putting the love and time into it that you can't get from store brought stuff.

Moms, what was the theme of your child's last birthday party?  

by on May. 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 19, 2014 at 6:36 AM

mmmm......the last time we had a themed party, I really can't remember what it was.  I've had plenty of themed parties, though:  carousel, princess, army, video game, swimming, soccer, Transformers, fire truck, diva, butterflies, baseball, Barbie, and sooooo many more that I can't remember!  With 5 kids, the youngest now 14, there have been PLENTY of parties!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 19, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Have fun!

crystaljerke
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Its really my life's most memorable party I'd arranged on my daughter's first birthday. I went with a FAIRY theme and cake was also of starwberry flavour with lots of faries, all guest were dressed according o theme. It was full of fun...!!!!

kellynh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Have a great time!! 

kellynh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Was this post ever meant for me!!! :) 

My youngest sons First birthday is next month. It's a Superhero theme. We have a make your own cape/mask and a photo backdrop! I will post pics of the cake I am making and his first birthday candle I made. :) 

Seems like a lot.... But our parties aren't traditional.... In lieu of gifts, we do donations to our local food pantry.

kellynh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Minus the hulk hand

kellynh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:27 AM

With this candle 

Quoting kellynh:

Minus the hulk hand

kellynh
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:27 AM

That sounds like fun!!! 

Quoting crystaljerke:

Its really my life's most memorable party I'd arranged on my daughter's first birthday. I went with a FAIRY theme and cake was also of starwberry flavour with lots of faries, all guest were dressed according o theme. It was full of fun...!!!!

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM

My dd had ladybugs for her 1st birthday and last year she had Monster High, she turned 11.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 19, 2014 at 7:56 AM

sounds fun ... DD had theme parties 1st few years of life ..Pooh, Barbie, Rugrats now she picks her cakes ... from stars , butterfly's,  balloons, and a white chocolate raspberry tourte last year 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN