Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Drink Up For Good Health

Posted by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

With the warm weather, kids are spending more time outdoors and playing harder. Parents need to make sure their little ones are getting enough water to keep them hydrated, especially in the heat.

Kids' water needs vary depending on their age, weight, activity levels, and the weather; hot, humid days are going to make them thirstier than cooler, cloudy ones. All told, kids ages 4-8 should consume 1.3 liters of water, or about 6.5 cups. Older kids should aim for a little more than 2 liters, or 8 cups, and teens should drink about 10 cups.

Sounds like a lot? The good news is, that includes everything they eat or drink that includes water, like fruits, veggies and milk. If they are playing sports or otherwise active, they should drink more water.

And yes, it should be water that kids are drinking, not juice or pop. Both are sugar bombs and not that good for them. If you have a reluctant water drinker, try giving them water with a splash of juice or one of those zero-calorie flavored waters. Or, add a sprig of mint or a slice of lemon, lime or orange to the glass. It looks fancy and gives it a little zing. Decaf iced tea is also a good choice.

How do you get your kids to drink enough water?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/studioaraminta

by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 26, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Water is pretty much all we drink at home, with the occasional unsweetened iced tea. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2014 at 7:19 AM
We drink mostly water! My 8 yr old occasionally asks for some soda or juice, but 99% of the time.she has water.. and my.almost 2 yr old will only drink water and milk
Sisteract
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Water and herbal tea (unsweetened) is what we drink.

arpazia
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Drink it or die.
Seriously, it's something your body needs to live, not liking it is NOT an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM

She usually just drinks milk, doesn't like water, even though we have a cooler. No soda in the house.

sukainah
by on May. 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I don't think my kids drink enough water.  I need to hydrate them more.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM

my kids drink water, they each have their own water bottles and we also freeze fruits such as grapes and oranges instead of giving them popsicles. 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Ds likes it.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
We have water most of the time also.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Water is pretty much all we drink at home, with the occasional unsweetened iced tea. 

Kmakksmom
by on May. 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM

No tricks here!  They loooove water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN