Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Host a Great End-of-Year Bash

Posted by on May. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

If it's not already happened for you, it's on its way: The last day of school. A party to kick off summer vacation sounds pretty great, right? Invite the whole class and keep your sanity with a bar. Nope, not for cocktails or wine (although that's not the worst idea ever...) Instead of trying to individually plate or serve meals, do a make-your-own bar on a long table.

I've seen taco bars with all the fixin's; include meat and refried or seasoned black beans to accommodate vegetarians and carnivores, tortillas, and both the standard accompaniments and some more authentic variations like queso fresco and pickled onions.

Baked potato bars with steamed veggies, cheeses, salsa, chili, sour cream, etc. would be a great make-ahead option since you can bake the potatoes the night before and reheat them in the crockpot the day of the party.

Coneys (a fancied-up chili dog) are pretty much our signature dish where I live, so a hot dog bar would be both easy and popular. Put hot dogs in a crock pot on high for several hours and they'll cook through without any water or anything; then set out buns, chopped onion, chili, an assortment of mustards, shredded cheddar, and other popular dog toppers like sauerkraut, hot peppers, pickle relish, pickle spears, or guacamole.

Another great idea is a dessert bar: try a fruit pizza bar with sugar cookies, cream cheese frosting, and sliced fruit. Top-your-own cupcakes  with frosting and an assortment of sprinkles is another good, if messy, idea. Stay away from a sundae bar unless you have a super-equipped outdoor kitchen; otherwise the ice cream gets too melty too fast.

Especially if this is a transition year for your kids, it would be nice to do some kind of memento; a display of class pictures through the years, a slideshow of candid photos, or a running video of some of the activities the kids have done together would be great and fairly easy. And make sure to gather up the kids for a group shot....it's likely not all of them will be moving on to the same school, so having that last time together captured for posterity would be nice.

How do you celebrate the last day of school?

Image ŠISTockPhoto/Creativestock

by on May. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 30, 2014 at 6:12 AM

When my kids were little we used to pack a picnic lunch and go to the park after picking them up from school on the last (half) day.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 30, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Usually swimming but we have a baseball tournament this year on the last day of school
goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM

We usually just have cake.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Maybe I'll take them to their favorite frozen youget place
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM

We take them to the beach and have a cookout later. Hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken with all the fixins.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM

We normally cook out at the local park.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM

we used to go on vacation then but not this year... later in summer

sukainah
by on May. 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Oh gosh, what great ideas!

We just went out to eat is all.

splatz
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Today is the last day of school for DS. My SO is taking him to a Cardinals game tonight. They are both pretty excited! 

splatz
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm... Cameron gets home in like half an hour. I don't think I have time to make a cake. Fun idea though! 

Quoting goddess99:

We usually just have cake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement