Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Be Sugar Smart

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

Like most moms, I try to limit the sugar my kids consume. We restrict candy, baked goods, etc. and try to limit them to one per day, if that.

However, some things that seem like they would be full of sugar are not; others that seem healthy and wholesome are massive sugar bombs. For example, the frozen waffles my kids wolf down for breakfast have 2 grams of sugar per serving. That's a ton less than the Greek yogurt I might have pushed as a healthier choice! And a drink from a popular national smoothie chain has almost as much sugar by volume as a slush from a convenience store!

Yes, it's important to read labels, but nutrition information is not always readily available when we stop for a snack on the go, and most of us look at total calories, not calories from sugar. And it's hard to translate "x grams of sugar" into a measurement we understand. You might restrict your child from having a yogurt with 3 and a half teaspoons of sugar, but you might not balk at 14 grams. Yet it's roughly the same amount.

I discovered a site called Sugar Stacks, which shows the amount of standard-sized sugar cubes different foods contain. It really helps to visualize the sugar content in different foods, including fruits and vegetables. I plan to show this to my kids the next time I say "no" to something they are asking for, and to guide my own eating as well. There's nothing wrong with indulging in a sweet treat, but knowledge is power!

Do you pay attention to how much sugar you and your kids eat?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/egal

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulalacroix
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:05 AM

I pay a lot of attention to the sugar in our food.  We eat almost nothing processed, so that makes it a lot easier.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I pay attention to the amount of sugar in our food, and I really watch it for myself because I'm diabetic. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:45 AM
Yes I pay attention to the sugar in our food
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Yes, we don't buy much junk food.

SweetBabySmell
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I pay a lot of attention to the sugar/carbs I eat. I'm diabetic.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Definitely!

I buy unflavored Greek yogurt and sweeten it myself with honey. Flavored yogurt is crazy. It's sugar with a little yogurt added. :/

I'm definitely going to share that site with the family so they can get a visual.

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Tracy on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Yes we have been adding more fruits/veges!

PennOhioBabe
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Yes I pay attention
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM
I pay a lot of attention to sugar content

My kids know how to read ingredients and labels too
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I pay a lot of attention for myself, because I love sweets. I try to curb that craving with fresh fruit. Dh and my kids have never liked things that are sweet, and we don't buy many processed foods, so most of the time it's not a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement