Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Need a diet friendly dessert

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm going to a friend's for dinner and offered to bring dessert. I don't make desserts at home because DH doesn't really like sweets, and I sure don't need them, so when I take a dessert somewhere is usually when I get to splurge, but she's on Weight Watchers and I don't want to subvert her efforts. So...help me out here. What can I take that's more fancy than just plain fruit?  

by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM

fruit skewers & dip

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Adjust the ingredients in this to make them more diet-friendly, such as splenda instead of sugar, Cool Whip Free for the cool whip, low-fat ricotta, etc.

Lemon Tiramisu Dessert (sort of low carb, can sub Splenda for the sugar if you want)

• 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 c. sugar or Splenda
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 to 2/3 c. ricotta cheese
  • 4 to 6 Tbsp. lemon curd (I used homemade, recipe below)
  • 1 c. whipped topping

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour in lowest speed, a tablespoon at a time, until completely mixed in. Spread the batter in the baking pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Mix ricotta cheese with 1/2 the lemon curd. Add 1/2 c. whipped topping and mix until smooth. Spread over the cooled sponge base. Gently spread the rest of the lemon curd on top of the cheese mixture, then do the same with the remaining whipped topping.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

This is one my late grandma made for my mom (she's diabetic)

Lowfat Low Carb Cheesecake Dream Pie

• 1 graham cracker, crushed
  • 2/3 c. boiling water
  • 1 small pkg. sugar free jello (any flavor, but raspberry, mixed fruit, lemon or orange works great)
  • 1 c. lowfat small curd cottage cheese
  • 1 8 oz. pkg. fat free cream cheese
  • 1 8 oz. container Cool Whip Free or Lite

Spray 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs on the bottom. Stir boiling water into jello; stir at least 2 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into blender and add cottage and cream cheeses. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and fold in Cool Whip until smooth and well blended. Pour into pie plate. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Store in fridge. Each serving has 100 calories, Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 300 mg. and Sugar 5 g.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Look on Hungry Girls website (probably www.hungrygirl.com). I made her chocolate muffins using only devil's food cake mix and pureed pumpkin. They were so light and chocolately, you couldn't taste the pumpkin but my house smelled great while baking. If I remember, they were low fat and low in calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM

That sounds interesting.

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 2/3 c. boiling water
  • 1 small pkg. sugar free jello (any flavor, but raspberry, mixed fruit, lemon or orange works great)

Spray 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs on the bottom. Stir boiling water into jello; stir at least 2 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into blender and add cottage and cream cheeses. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and fold in Cool Whip until smooth and well blended. Pour into pie plate. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Store in fridge. Each serving has 100 calories, Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 300 mg. and Sugar 5 g.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

It's very good, like a fruity cheesecake.  I don't remember where Grandma found the recipe.

Quoting SweetLuci:

That sounds interesting.

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 2/3 c. boiling water

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN