Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

downsizing

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
Yup. Im downsizing. our freezer , anyway. Last week one of the kids plunked their backpack down on the lid of the chest freezer and it literally shattered the inner lining. It was about 13 yrs old and since the thing has been in the kitchen the last few months during renovations we had been thinking of not replacing it when it gave out. So its gone now and we are going to have to rethink how we shop and plan meals. it will mean I wont have room for alot of club size packs of frozen foods and I wont be able to stock up on sale meats . It wont be an easy transition for the boys because they are used to a wide variety of convenience foods to pop in the micro. since we live in town near alot of stores including Trader Joes and WF its easy to do shopping a couple of times a week but hopefully we can avoid blowing the food budget when we do.
by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Oh yikes that is a big transition! Hope it goes well!
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Thanks! Our side by side fridge will have to suffice until I upgrade to French door.

Quoting terri76: Oh yikes that is a big transition! Hope it goes well!
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

That will be a big change for all of you. I would hate to give up my 2nd refrigerator/freezer, and there are only two of us most of the time, and 3 part-time. I buy fresh local produce and freeze, and do a lot of double cooking, and freeze half for later meals. Buying meat when on sale. It really pays for itself. I don't like to make more that one trip every couple of weeks to the grocery store. That wouldn't be possible if I didn't have more than 1 freezer. 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I dont do too much ahead cooking anymore so we dont have to store pans of food. I think it might help change the convenience food habits of the kids but we will see.

Quoting SweetLuci:

That will be a big change for all of you. I would hate to give up my 2nd refrigerator/freezer, and there are only two of us most of the time, and 3 part-time. I buy fresh local produce and freeze, and do a lot of double cooking, and freeze half for later meals. Buying meat when on sale. It really pays for itself. I don't like to make more that one trip every couple of weeks to the grocery store. That wouldn't be possible if I didn't have more than 1 freezer. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Oh wow, that will be a big transition! Can you look on yard sale sites/ Craigslist to see if you can find a cheap freezer?
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM
oh never mind, I just re read and you said u were thinking of not replacing it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement