Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Simple, Summery Green Salads

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

One of the many delightful things about summer is that it's just plain easy to eat well at this time of year. Sitting down to a plateful of salad for dinner feels more virtuous than satisfying when the cold winds blow, but when it's warm and sunny and you've spent all day outside, a crisp, cool plate of salad is just the thing.

I've heard a couple ideas about the perfect salad. One is to make sure that every bite has something good in it; load it up with as much delicious stuff as you can fit in your bowl. That's a good idea for sure; the rap on salads is that they are boring, and if you have all kinds of delicious things in it it will be much less so. I like to toss in little bits of things I have in the fridge...a tiny portion of meat, a sliver of cheese, veggies left over from dinner that need new life, etc.

Mark Bittman has a formula for a delicious fancy salad, and I have to say he's not wrong: Fruit, cheese and nuts to accompany your greens. Imagine apples, cheddar and almonds with a cider vinaigrette, for example. The classic "Michigan salad" on just about every restaurant menu where I live is dried cherries, blue cheese (or goat cheese) and pecans.

Finally, we've introduced our kids to the hearty, classic Cobb salad. The mnemonic to remember is EAT COBB: Eggs, avocado, tomatoes, chicken, onion, bacon, and blue cheese. Of course, if you hate any of those or just have, say, a hunk of beef or salmon you need to use up, change it up...Cobb salads are versatile and kids like combining things in different ways.

Are you a salad eater? What's your favorite thing to add in?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/cookedphotos

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM
We are big salad eaters here. We like to add cheese, boiled eggs, bacon, green olives, turkey or ham.
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:50 AM
We like salads here.

Depends the salad but I add fresh berries to salads

Feta added to spinach and strawberry salad is good
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM
I saw a spicy melon salad in food network magazine I want to try
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Love salads!   One of my favorites is tuna/tomato/avocado....or a pepperoni/ham/red onion/peppers/black olives/tomatoes/feta pizza salad....yum!

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I love Chicken Strip Salad!Love to add croutons & French Dressing.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I love salad, but hate to tear lettuce, silly isn't it? We buy pre packaged lettuce, and all hubs wants in his is onion and maybe green pepper. I like tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, boiled eggs, carrots, nuts, raisins, and bacon.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I love a good salad! I roasted a turkey breast earlier this week and I've been eating the leftovers on a salad with sunflower seeds, onion, and dried tart cherries. Yum!

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Yum. Salads are great in the heat. You can get real creative too.

SweetBabySmell
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM

For me, salads are things you can throw different things in depending on mood and personal preferences. I'm currently on a kick of combining iceberg lettuce with a little spinach, feta cheese, halved grape tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, dried cranberries, and mushrooms. Then for protein I either top it with leftover grilled or roasted chicken or boiled eggs. A lite raspberry vinagrette dressing on this is really good.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I eat salads sometimes, its usually a mix of red lettuce and spinach, apple chunks, dried cranberries, walnuts, sliced strawberries, blueberries, with a pomegranate vinaigrette.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement