Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Fun Treats For the Fourth

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Fourth of July is one of those holidays that just about everyone likes. Who wouldn't enjoy a holiday chiefly devoted to cooking out, picnicking, barbecuing, and watching fireworks? Serving up a special treat makes the holiday even more fun. Here are some ideas.

Flag trifle: We are all familiar with Flag Cake, but if turning on the oven to bake in the summer heat isn't your thing, try a trifle. Layer blueberries and/or blackberries and raspberries or strawberries with cubed pound cake or angel food cake, vanilla pudding and whipped cream in a glass bowl. Start with pound cake, then a thin layer of pudding, then a thin layer of whipped cream, then berries, and repeat until you're at the top of your bowl, topping with a layer of whipped cream. It's a light-tasting, satisfying dessert that makes the most of summer fruits.

Smoked cherry bombs: These sound a little weird, but Cooking Light has never failed me yet so I'd give them a try.

Make your own ice cream: If you got an ice cream maker for a wedding gift that has been gathering dust, bring it out into the sunshine. Making ice cream is easy and a fun kid project. Brown Eyed Baker has a list of 30 delicious-sounding recipes. No machine? No problem. The Daily Meal has enough no-machine-required recipes to please any ice cream fan.

What's your favorite Fourth of July treat?

Image © IStockPhoto/Catherine Lane

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I like anything frozen.

We'll be having strawberry (grain-free) shortcake made with fresh strawberries from my garden and strawberry ice cream this year.

Nighttiger
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Those sound cool. I'm just looking forward to BBQ
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Red/White/Blue Trifle

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I know it's the easy way out, but I just toss together some strawberries and blueberries, and serve with a little whipped cream.

Miranda1127
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

watermelon. I like to keep it simple.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Watermelon basket with fresh fruit and I make a trifle using fresh peaches that my brother brings to our reunion from S Carolina.

delanna6two
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:33 AM

baked beans, stuffed eggs, potato salad, freezer pies, ice cream

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Anything frozen!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Vanilla ice cream!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I'm watching my weight this year, so trying a new recipe, lemon sorbet. Hope it turns into a favorite!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement