Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Fun Treats For the Fourth

Posted by   + Show Post

The Fourth of July is one of those holidays that just about everyone likes. Who wouldn't enjoy a holiday chiefly devoted to cooking out, picnicking, barbecuing, and watching fireworks? Serving up a special treat makes the holiday even more fun. Here are some ideas.

Flag trifle: We are all familiar with Flag Cake, but if turning on the oven to bake in the summer heat isn't your thing, try a trifle. Layer blueberries and/or blackberries and raspberries or strawberries with cubed pound cake or angel food cake, vanilla pudding and whipped cream in a glass bowl. Start with pound cake, then a thin layer of pudding, then a thin layer of whipped cream, then berries, and repeat until you're at the top of your bowl, topping with a layer of whipped cream. It's a light-tasting, satisfying dessert that makes the most of summer fruits.

Smoked cherry bombs: These sound a little weird, but Cooking Light has never failed me yet so I'd give them a try.

Make your own ice cream: If you got an ice cream maker for a wedding gift that has been gathering dust, bring it out into the sunshine. Making ice cream is easy and a fun kid project. Brown Eyed Baker has a list of 30 delicious-sounding recipes. No machine? No problem. The Daily Meal has enough no-machine-required recipes to please any ice cream fan.

What's your favorite Fourth of July treat?

Image © IStockPhoto/Catherine Lane

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-46):
delanna6two
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Glad you had a good one...ours was nice too and I was happy for the weather being on our side this time...so pleasant, just great grilling weather....Later on, we watched the fireworks shows on tv:)

Quoting SweetLuci:

I did ha ve a great 4th. How about you?

This sounds like something my cousin used to make for family get togethers. It was so pretty, and very refreshing after a large meal. I'm going to make this. Thanks.

Quoting delanna6two:

Hi, hope you had a great 4th!  It's a kool-aid pie using sweetened condensed milk, lemonade kool-aid (or your choice) and cool whip.Kool-Aid Pie1 graham cracker pie crust1 can sweetened condensed milk1 8 oz. cool whip1 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid (your choice)Mix Sweetened condensed milk, Cool Whip and Kool-aid in a bowl. Pour into graham cracker crust. Place in freezer until firm.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this. How do you make your freezer pies?

Quoting delanna6two:

baked beans, stuffed eggs, potato salad, freezer pies, ice cream

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Can't beat potato salad, deviled eggs, grilled sweet corn and watermelon!

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM

We actually ended up doing this. Also easy peasy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

I agree

Quoting RobynS:

It really is! No need to make a big fuss when everyone is happy with this. :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Delicious

Quoting RobynS:

I know it's the easy way out, but I just toss together some strawberries and blueberries, and serve with a little whipped cream.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Cool!

Quoting RobynS:

We actually ended up doing this. Also easy peasy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

I agree

Quoting RobynS:

It really is! No need to make a big fuss when everyone is happy with this. :)

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Watermelon

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Frozen watermelon drinks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement