Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Three Sneaky Tricks To Get Your Kids To Eat Vegetables

Posted by   + Show Post

If you have a kid that likes vegetables, then this post is not for you, although you might like the recipes. If you have a kid like mine who HATES vegetables and just wants to eat the standard trashy kid fare, then here are three tricksy recipes to get at least some nutrients into them.

Kale Chips

I made these the other day. I filled up a bowl with kale chips and sat on the couch crunching them and didn't offer any to my toddler. "I want some chips!" She hollered at me. Faux-reluctantly I handed one over for her to try. She ended up eating the entire bowl, despite their vibrant green shade. To make them, cut the ribs out of a bunch of kale leaves and lightly coat with olive oil and salt. Bake on parchment paper at 250 degrees for about 20-23 minutes, until totally crispy.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Chop a head of cauliflower into chunks and process in the food processor until the chunks are smaller than a grain of rice. Put the pureed bits into a microwave safe bowl for 4 minutes to cook. Allow to cool, and then dump the cauliflower into a clean hand towel and squeeze the whole thing until water stops pouring out (there will be quite a bit of water). Mix 1 tsp each of oregano, basil and salt into a bowl with the cauliflower. Mix in 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella and 1 egg. Spread the "dough" on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet into a pizza circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Bake just the dough at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and add your pizza toppings, bake again until the cheese is bubbly.

Carrot Fritters

I must warn you- these are disgustingly good fried blobs of dough. However, since they technically have carrots in them they fit into this sneaky veggies category.  I made these the other night. My kid had 3, I think I ate 17 of them.  Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk, 2 tbsp minced scallions, 1 tsp parsley flakes, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper and thyme, 1 cup of grated carrots. The dough should be on the wetter side, not like a bread dough. Drop the dough by tablespoons  into hot oil and fry, flipping over until both sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Do you have any "Sneaky" recipes?

(c)istockphoto.com/bhofack2

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-65):
mysticlily
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I've never had an issue with veggies my daughter loves them!! You can always make meatballs and stick broccoli puree in the mix!! You can also make cauliflower "rice" with Parmesan cheese!

J-Shively5
by on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Chop 2 whole peeled carrots. Put in a blender. Puree the carrots and add to your spaghetti sauce during spaghetti dinner night. They won't be able to tell the difference!
ladymaleficent
by on Sep. 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Carrots in fireball amaxing..
gymgirl
by Member on Sep. 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

my kid loves them. what my one friend would do would sneak them into foods when she baked. she would sneak spinach leaves into muffins. lol.

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

Mazie0723
by Member on Sep. 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM
I secret for getting my kids to eat veggies is putting them on their plates. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement