During these hot summer days I do not want to turn on the oven at all. In addition to cooking burgers and steak tips on the grill, I like to cook the rest of my dinner on the grill as well, but of course most vegetables will just fall through the grates if you try to grill them directly. Foil packets work will for this, just pile your ingredients in the center of the foil and fold in half, pinch the edges of the foil together to make a seal. Place the packet on the grill and cook alongside your meat.
Some ideas for foil packet dishes are:
- Asparagus with butter, lemon and garlic
- Sliced potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Pasta cooked in tomato sauce
- Sliced zucchini and tomatoes with olive oil, basil and garlic
- Sliced beets tossed with olive oil and salt, top with goat cheese after it cooks
- Onions and peppers with butter and salt (goes great on burgers)
These packets can also be used for camping, just throw them on a grill near the fire and dinner is served! Foil packets also have the advantage of being super easy to prep in advance when camping. No one wants to be chopping onions on the ground.
Do you ever cook with foil packets on the grill?