Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Meals From the Slow Cooker

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was a newlywed, my mother-in-law and I were talking cooking and she confessed that she rarely used her slow cooker in winter, when you're craving the kind of stews and braised that taste so good in colder months. Instead, hers saw heavy use in summer.

When you think about it, that makes all kinds of sense. During summer you're spending time outside and having fun...she was an avid gardener and would have much rather spent time there than the kitchen. And you don't need to abandon your healthy diet, either.

As it turns out, you can make all kinds of summery dishes; pulled chicken (instead of pork) comes immediately to mind, but you can go vegetarian with eggplant and chickpea stew, Mexican with pork carnitas, or Indian(ish) with curried vegetables. These dishes make use of the abundant fresh produce that the season offers and allows you to be out there enjoying the weather instead of inside stirring a hot pan on the stove.

My family is actually more on the go during summer than we are during the school year; we're running around to library programs, play rehearsals, and community events. So having dinner ready to go when we are, with all the work handled before the day gets crazy, is a bonus.

Do you use your slow cooker in summer?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/ac_bnphotos

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toriandgrace
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:25 AM
I don't have air conditioning, so my slow cooker is a life saver when it is too hot to cook. I make bbq chicken, chicken teriyaki, chicken tacos. I really need more recipes though. It is so hard to get motivated to cook when it is 90 degrees in the house.
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I do use it for pulled pork, pulled chicken,and today for baked beans for a crowd.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I use my slow cooker all year long. 

virginiamama71
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Yes

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I use ours to keep the heat down ..and really use it all year

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Today at 4:52 PM
by Tracy on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM

We sure do!

splatz
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I use it often in the summer! Much better than letting a hot oven run. I need some new recipes though. 

splatz
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I feel like we end up with the same few meals over and over in the summer when I use it. Baked potatoes are a favorite! Nice on the super hot days where a heavy meal just doesn't sound good. 

Quoting toriandgrace: I don't have air conditioning, so my slow cooker is a life saver when it is too hot to cook. I make bbq chicken, chicken teriyaki, chicken tacos. I really need more recipes though. It is so hard to get motivated to cook when it is 90 degrees in the house.

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I don't use mine that often, but I should.  I'm usually busy with the garden and preserving what I grow that I have little time for cooking and even less interest in spending much time doing it.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I do more desserts in it in the summer, because we grill so much. I do a couple of chicken dishes though, like lemon chicken.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement