Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Five Spice Powder

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

Have you used Five-Spice Powder in stir fry or anything else?  I have a stir fry I use it for, love the taste of the spice.

These look marvelous!  I must try this soon!

CHINESE 5 SPICE CHICKEN WINGS WITH SOY, BALSAMIC REDUCTION GLAZE

Author: 
Cuisine: Asian
Serves: 3-4
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 lbs chicken wings (about 10-12 chicken wings)

• Marinade
  • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon lime juice (about 1 lime)
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 Spice Powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha/Asian hot chili sauce

• Rub
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder

• Sticky Soy Balsamic Reduction Glaze
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ cup quality balsamic vinegar
  • ⅓ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ½-1 teaspoon Sriracha/ Asian hot chili sauce
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine marinade ingredients in a freezer bag, add chicken and marinade for 4 hours up to overnight.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or nonstick slip mat for easy cleanup. Top baking sheet with baking rack and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. Drain excess marinade from chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Add chicken to a clean freezer bag and add baking powder (makes them extra crispy but you will NOT taste the baking powder). Toss until evenly coated.
  4. Bake on upper middle rack for 40 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil for approximately 5 minutes or until crispy, watching closely so they don't burn.. Flip chicken over and broil the other side until crispy.
  5. Meanwhile, when chicken has been baking 35 minutes, begin glaze. Combine sauce ingredients in large skillet and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced to sticky glaze. The sauce thickens rapidly at the very end, so watch closely so it does not burn.
  6. Meanwhile, when chicken has been baking 35 minutes, begin glaze. Combine balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in large skillet (NOT SAUCEPAN or it will take much longer to reduce) and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced to a sticky glaze. The sauce thickens rapidly at the very end, so watch closely so it does not burn. Stir in Sriracha to taste.
  7. Remove chicken from oven and add to large bowl. Add glaze and toss to coat with a spatula until evenly coated.
  8. Dig in!
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM

due to my food allergies i make my own spice blend, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and onion powder. I use it in almost everything.

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That sounds good!

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

due to my food allergies i make my own spice blend, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and onion powder. I use it in almost everything.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

it is and my family loves my cooking. My dh hated any sort of chicken till he tasted mine, and now he ASKS for it. lol

Quoting mikesmom65270:

That sounds good!

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I can't use because of allergies to peppers

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM

never tried it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement