Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Easy to peel hard boiled eggs?

mingalou
Summer heat makes the natives crazy. Must find shelter. :D
Yesterday at 9:33 AM
Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Please tell me your secret to easy peel eggs? I've had a horrible time at it despite trying several tips I've found online. White vinegar. Salt. Not fresh eggs 

what's the trick?!! 

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mikesmom65270
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:34 PM

After I boil them, I drain and then shake them around in the pan to crack the shells.  After that, I put them in very cold water and leave until they have cooled more.  I peel them immediately after that; otherwise if I wait too long they would be hard to peel.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM

To properly hard-boil eggs, begin with cold water in a pan. Put the eggs into the pan and bring the water to a boil.  Cover your pot with a lid and turn the heat off.  Let the eggs sit for about fifteen minutes. Once your eggs are done, bring the pan to the sink, drain and rinse the hard-boiled eggs with cold water. Rinsing with cold water makes it much easier for you to remove the shell.

To peel your hard-boiled egg, crack it on the counter all around to loosen the shell and then simply peel. When hard-boiling eggs, it's best to use older eggs instead of fresh eggs because the shell comes off older eggs more readily.

MyNameIs-
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM
I heard a teaspoon of baking soda in the boiling water and the shell is supposed to slide off! Haven't tried it yet but I might.
cueballsmom
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM
I boil mine and when done, they get dumped in a colander in the sink and I run cold water over them until they are barely warm.

Get your hands wet before peeling, and be sure to crack the entire shell, it will literally slide off with a little pressure. If your hands are dry, youll grab the egg and tear it. Peeling under running water will help with the first few if you are rushed.
PrincessAsmommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

We use an egg piercer and poke a hole in the big end of the egg. Then we add them to boiling water and when their done we drain them and rinse them in really cold water to stop the cooking. I like to let them sit in cold water for a while and then roll them or crack them all over and the shell lifts right off.

faeryfrog
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I put a small amount of cream of tarter in the water and once my eggs are done i drain the hot water, fill the pot with cold water and ice and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes the peel them under a running faucet. 

I peel a crazy amount of eggs at work, and doing this works every time :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement