Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What would you do with zucchini?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM
  • 39 Replies

The season is upon us and I'm already reaching mass overload in the garden.  There are so many things to be done with this versatile vegetable.  I love fried zucchini (with cornmeal), oven back fries (with bread crumbs), baked stuffed zucchini, etc.  What do you do?

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM

This one looks good!

Zucchini Cornbread... to serve with chili because somehow I acquired zucchini and I don't know what to do with it.

Zucchini Green Chilli Cornbread

Makes 1 small loaf, vegetarian. Adapted from Curry & Comfort

Wet Ingredients:

• 220 ml (1 cup) milk (I used goat’s milk)
  • 100 gr (1 cup) grated courgette/zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
  • 55 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
  • 2 green chillis/jalapenos, finely chopped

Dry Ingredients:

• 190 gr (1  1/4 cups) cornflour (arepa flour) or polenta/cornmeal
  • 150 gr plain flour
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric (for colour) not necessary if you are using polenta/cornmeal
  • 1 few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves removed
  • 60 gr (1 cup) grated cheese (I used Manchego & Red Leicester) 

Preheat oven to 180 C. Put all the wet ingredients in one bowl and whisk together well. Sieve the 2 flours into another bowl and add the rest of the dry ingredients to that bowl, mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, do not over mix or it will be tough.

Oil and flour a loaf tin or baking dish (or line with baking paper). Tip the batter into the loaf tin/baking dish and even out the top.

Bake for 30 minutes then remove from the oven and sprinkle over a thin layer of grated cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until a cocktail stick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin.

Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.

doodlebopfan
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM
In addition to your thoughts, I like them cut up into large chunks and roasted with other veggies (colored bell peppers, onions, baby carrots, squash, mushrooms, whatever is handy, EVOO, Mrs Dash or whatever seasonings you like) and I also like them cut into coins, sautéed with chopped white onions, then add in some tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste, simmer and serve. The last recipe is even good cold.
MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM
I shred it and freeze it for muffins and bread in cooler weather. I cook it with potatoes and mash them together it makes the potatoes really creamy. I slice lengthwise and grill them and use on sandwiches. It's great in stir fry and I could just go on and , lol I love squash!!
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM

i love zucchini.
one of my fav dishes - i am craving it right now - is a zucchini, yellow squash, mushroom and onion bake.  just take those ingredients chop and and mix them in a bit of olive oil and season with poultry seasoning and bake. 

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

hmmm zucchini cakes are delicious.

zucchini in chicken tortilla soup. 

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

saute halved cherry tomatoes and thin sliced zucchini in olive oil salt and pep, toss with spaghetti noodles and generously top with parm.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM

sauteed w/garlic & tomatoes

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Italian Beef & Zucchini Pie

• 1/2 lb. ground beef, browned
  • 4 c. sliced zucchini
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 - 2 c. mozzarella or monterey jack cheese

Saute zucchini and onion in a little oil until tender.  Beat eggs with a fork and add herbs, cayenne, salt, and cheese.  Mix with fork.  Spread zucchini mixture in a greased pie plate and pour egg mixture over it.  Bake at 350° for 20 - 25 minutes.  Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Zucchini Crisp

• 5 cups zucchini, peeled, seeded, & diced
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. lemon juice
  • 3/4 c. water

Topping:

• 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Cook first 5 ingredients for 10 minutes.  Place in 9 inch square or 7" x 11" baking dish.  Mix topping ingredients until crumbly.  Sprinkle over zucchini and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (or without.)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM

To use up those abundant zucchini, and it really does taste like pineapple! I use it for anything calling for crushed pineapple, and I've even gotten the kids to eat it over cottage cheese.

• 18 cups peeled, seeded, chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 c. lemon juice
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 46 oz can pineapple juice

Bring juices and sugar to a boil. Add zucchini and simmer 20 minutes. Pack and seal in hot jars with hot lids. Process pints 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yields about 12 pints.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement