Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ideas needed.....frozen cranberries

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

I purchased extra cranberries last fall and threw a bag in the freezer to keep them from going bad....and forgot they were in there.  LOL

So, any ideas for a NON-holiday way to use them in meals?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I haven't tried this, but it was given to me by a friend who said it's delicious.

Rather than freezing, you can just chill this in the refrigerator before serving, although I find it holds up very well when frozen, even when thawed completely. Just be sure to drain the pineapple well. If you like some extra crunch, you can also add a cup or so of chopped pecans.

Frozen Cranberry Salad

Frozen Cranberry Salad
Serves: 12 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 (12 oz.) bag fresh cranberries, finely chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 (8 oz.) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 1 (10 oz.) package miniature marshmallows
  • 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped cranberries and the sugar.
  2. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, or overnight.
  3. With an electric mixer, whip cream until stiff.
  4. In a large bowl, combine cranberries and pineapple. Fold in whipped cream and marshmallows.
  5. Pour into a large, airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
  6. Thaw slightly (or completely if you prefer) before serving.
mikesmom65270
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but need to because I have cranberries in the freezer too and also too many zucchini!

Zucchini, carrot & cranberry muffins (these are incredibly delicious & healthy too!) also can be made into a loaf.

Healthy and Delicious Zucchini, Carrot & Cranberry Muffins
(Recipe from The Sono Baking Company Cookbook)

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup finely grated carrot
3/4 cup finely grated zucchini
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup whole fresh or frozen cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 12-cup muffin tray.
Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
In another bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, grated carrot & zucchini, and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into wet, and mix gently until flour is absorbed. Then gently fold in the cranberries (don't overmix).
Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.
Bake for approximately 25 minutes - until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
Cool in the muffin tins on a wire rack.

These muffins are delicious on their own, but also taste outrageously good with cream cheese icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup butter (unsalted), at room temperature
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup icing sugar

Mix all ingredients together until smoothly combined.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Cookies , muffins , scones,
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM

My zucchini are just starting to come in and I've got frozen grated carrots...sounds like something I'll have to try to convert to paleo...I think I can do it, though!

Quoting mikesmom65270:
I haven't tried this yet, but need to because I have cranberries in the freezer too and also too many zucchini!
Zucchini, carrot & cranberry muffins (these are incredibly delicious & healthy too!) also can be made into a loaf.
Healthy and Delicious Zucchini, Carrot & Cranberry Muffins(Recipe from The Sono Baking Company Cookbook)

2 cups flour1 tsp baking powder3/4 tsp salt1 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp baking soda1 cup sugar1 cup canola oil2 eggs3/4 cup finely grated carrot3/4 cup finely grated zucchini1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla1 cup whole fresh or frozen cranberriesPreheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 12-cup muffin tray.Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.In another bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, grated carrot & zucchini, and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into wet, and mix gently until flour is absorbed. Then gently fold in the cranberries (don't overmix).Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.Bake for approximately 25 minutes - until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.Cool in the muffin tins on a wire rack.These muffins are delicious on their own, but also taste outrageously good with cream cheese icing.Cream Cheese Icing4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature1/4 cup butter (unsalted), at room temperaturepinch of salt1 1/2 cup icing sugar

Mix all ingredients together until smoothly combined.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM
suetoo
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Cranberry apple pie

PrincessAsmommy
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I'd use them in baking or smoothies. In smoothies I use frozen fruit so that I don't need to have ice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)