Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Roast Beef Side Dish

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM
  • 16 Replies
Suggestions please....I normally do potatoes either mashed or cooked with roast but deciding against the potatoes this time. If you could give me alternatives that would help..Thanks in advance
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Mashed cauliflower. Put it in your food processor with butter, salt and pepper, and you have a simple mashed potato alternative. Add some cheddar cheese, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and chives or bacon bits for a richer flavor.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Sweet potatoes, either baked or mashed would also be good.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Twice-baked Non-potato casserole

• 1 head cauliflower, steamed until very tender and then mashed with butter, salt and pepper
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. full fat sour cream
  • 1 to 2 green onions, sliced
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 8 oz. bacon, cooked & crumbled

Mix cauliflower, sour cream, green onions, 1 c. cheddar cheese, and bacon.  Pour into baking dish.  Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake at 375° for 25 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Roasted Vegetables

• your choice of veggies, cut into bite sized pieces
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper

Place veggies in a resealable plastic bag or in a bowl with a tight-sealing lid.  Drizzle with 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil, seal bag or bowl, and gently shake until veggies are coated with olive oil.  Pour onto an oiled cookie sheet in a single layer, sprinkle with desired seasonings, and bake at 375° - 400° until veggies are fork-tender.  The time will vary with the kind of veggie and the size of the pieces, but generally this takes 25 to 40 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Mockaroni & cheese

• 1 head cauliflower or 16 oz. frozen cauliflower
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. heavy cream (milk will work)
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar (divided)
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook the cauliflower until tender; drain well. In a 1 1/2 quart casserole, mix cream cheese, 4 oz. cheddar, and cream.  Stir well until cream cheese is creamy and smooth. Stir in the green onions, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and gently fold into the cheese sauce to coat well. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Top with the remaining 4 ounces cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.

Makes 4-6 servings

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Grandma's Dilled Carrots

When I was a little girl, I remember visiting my Grandma and watching her make Dilled Carrots. So simple is this recipe that you really can not believe how good it is and how well it complements so many entrees.

Dilled Carrots

Dilled Carrots Ingredients

• 1 lb. carrots
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill

Simmer carrots in water for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain water. Toss carrots in butter and dill. Serves 4.

This recipe for my Grandma's Dilled carrots is one of my go-to recipes because I always have the ingredients on hand. It is simple enough for last minute family meals and elegant enough for the finest cocktail party.

http://www.theme-party-queen.com/dilled-carrots.html#axzz2DQbRx8aI

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM

GREEN BEANS WITH BACON & MUSHROOMS
6 pieces bacon, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
16 ounce bag frozen whole green beans, thawed
Salt, to taste

In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; set aside and reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in the pan. Sauté the onion in the drippings until tender. Add the mushrooms; cook and stir 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the beans and salt to taste. Go easy on the salt because the bacon will add salt. Cover and cook 10 minutes on low until the beans are done, stirring occasionally. Toss in the bacon.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 113 Calories; 8g Fat; 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Layered Party Slaw (this is a favorite of ours)

• 1 small head cabbage, shredded
  • 1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
  • 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 c. frozen green peas, thawed
  • 2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 c. green onion, sliced
  • 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/4 c. Marzetti slaw dressing (I make my favorite low-carb slaw dressing)
  • 1 tomato

In a large glass serving bowl layer the first 7 ingredients, using only 1/2 of the bacon.  Top with slaw dressing and remaining bacon.  Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Cut tomato into wedges and arrange on top of the salad before serving.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad

• 3 cups fresh broccoli & cauliflower flowerets
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 small white or red onion, diced
  • 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients except veggies in a bowl. Stir in veggies. Store in refrigerator

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Mac and cheese, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, broccoli and cheese rice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN